Unexpectedly acquired an RB26 240z project!

Rushingphil

Club Member
So, having posted a quick intro in the New Members section, I thought I would start a proper build thread here.

For those that may not have seen my intro, this is what I have acquired:

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127627-in-progress-rb26-1972-240z/

As this has come completely out of the blue, I really don't have any fixed plans on how I want to proceed and what I eventually want to achieve. Obviously my first job is to read as many of the threads on here (already read quite a few) and get my head around what is really involved and what my different options are.

Clearly, I am tied to what I have. The shell has been extensively modified with the stitch welding, roll cage, engine and transmission supports etc., so it has lost its value as a potential concours example.

With all the work and expense that has gone into fitting the engine and drive-line, I'm pretty much committed to that as well. Just what I do with the engine though will be subject to a lot of thought and considerations. I'm presently not considering going for any 'BIG' power, and therefore don't want to go down the Fully Forged route due to the costs involved. However, I don't believe the engine has been turned over for at least 10 years, so heaven knows what the state of the inside is. If I need to fully strip down and rebuild the engine, then maybe forging it will be a worthwhile cost. I just don't know at the moment......

Then there's the RHD/LHD option. I would obviously prefer a RHD car, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the work and expense of sourcing all the hardware and doing the modification. This is a decision I've obviously need to make sooner than later. I was given lots of good advice and opinions at the JPS and am presently mulling them over!

What to do with the shell itself with regard to stripping it down and respraying? Its original colour was copper/bronze but it has been over-sprayed green. I don't like either of those colours and am thinking either a similar blue to Jays. or even a metallic gunmetal grey - plenty of time to decide on that though!

Fortunately, the shell does look to be in very good condition, although I haven't stripped any paint off to investigate fully. I'm hoping not to have to do a full 'bare metal' respray if I can help it - the original seller stated that it was fully bead blasted after the stitch welding, but obviously that was only the underside and interior (cabin and engine bay), but we'll see.........

So, my initial plans? Bring it down to my house asap (it's still in my late father's garage!); probably strip the engine and drive-train out; build a rotisserie to put it on; remove the suspension etc. and go from there!

Wish me luck!

NB. Am about to try and download some photos I have, but I'm not too sure which hosting platform I want to use. I used to use Photobucket with my mx5 thread, but lost 12 pages worth when they tried to bend everyone over backwards :-( so please forgive me if my next few posts don't make sense

datsfun

Club Member
You can post directly on this forum and dont need a hosting platform.

At the bottom of each post, there is a small tab that says upload a file...

Rushingphil

Club Member
You can post directly on this forum and dont need a hosting platform.

At the bottom of each post, there is a small tab that says upload a file...

Thanks for that. excuse my ignorance, but does that not fill up the forum's data capacity very quickly? or does it have plenty?

Rushingphil

Club Member
After many months, the car eventually arrived in the UK - Felixstowe rather than Southampton where I live :cuss:

Went up to collect with my youngest son Jon (who at that time was the rightful owner) and got it loaded onto the trailer

240z on trailer at Felixstowe.JPG

This was not an easy job! The eagle eyed may notice that there isn't a steering rack - that was in the back of the car :EXTRAlol:

Unfortunately, the box of parts wasn't with the car - that was still sitting in a warehouse in San Fransisco :(

After a long day we finally got it put in my Dad's garage

In Dads garage front view.JPG

Rushingphil

Club Member
So, not a great deal of progress on my behalf other than continuing to read lots of posts on the forum.

I need to create some sort of spreadsheet so I can refer back to the useful and relevant bits when I need them! Too much info for my little brain to soak up.

When the car was first advertised it certainly looked very rust free:

Engine Bay.jpg

However, in the time it finally arrived in the UK, it had acquired a lot of surface rust:

Lonely RB26 in engine bay.JPG

Rushingphil

Club Member
As my youngest son Jon (at that time the owner), had decided to accept a job in the USA, he decided to prepare the shell as best he could in the time that he had, to prevent it getting any worst.

He therefore sanded back the entire exposed shell with scotch pads to remove the surface rust, treated it with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 and then sprayed/painted with BH Etchweld Primer:

Front right suspension turret sanded down.JPG

Front left suspension turret sanded down.JPG

Whilst he had the front turrets sanded down, he also decided to tidy up the welding:

Top of front left suspension turret after welding.jpg

Top of front right suspension turret after welding.JPG

Then prime:

front left suspension turret after primer.JPG

front right suspension turret after primer.JPG

Some more pics after priming:

Front view of engine bay after primer.JPG

Front footwells after zinc primer.JPG

Couple of other pics:
Inside front left wheel arch after sanding.JPG

Inside rear hatch after scotchbrite.JPG

Just found out I can only load up to 10 pics at a time

Wally

Club Member
Just realised this was the car I was trying to buy. Looks like you got there first. Hope the build goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally

Club Member
Cheers! Am watching your build thread too :thumbs:

Bet you finish yours before me :D

I'm on a schedule at the minute so I'm having to put the hours in. I've got the car booked in to have the rhd bulkhead, floors and thicker floors rails welded in first week in Dec so I need to get it to the blasters before then. They are also strengthening the frame rails, gusetting the frame rails to the bulkhead and extending the floor rails to the rear subframe. Should be good to hold the extra power I'm putting in the car.

Wally

Club Member
The floor rails are there to support the floor, they don’t provide ‘chassis strength’.

I totally get that but when they're thicker abd connected from front to back they will certainly help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SacCyclone

Club Member
Your car came out of Yuba City, just 45 minutes from me.....thats funny.
Looks to be a full feature build and I will be watching closely.
Mike

Rushingphil

Club Member
The floor rails are there to support the floor, they don’t provide ‘chassis strength’.

Hi Franky,

Is that always the case? My car has 2" square box sections that run from the front to the back welded through the floorpan. I assumed they would at least give a lot of longitudinal strength. Were these an unnecessary overkill then?

Passenger footwell and tunnel.JPG