underseal removal

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
wanting to get as much of the car back to bare metal as possible ive made a start on the inner wings.
im useing a wire wheel on a drill and its coming on but wondering what advice you guys would give to soften up this yellow stuff to make life quicker/easier.
its not a sticky underseal but quite hard to shift.
ive looked at various forums.some say use celulose thinners,petrol,white spirit etc.
what have you guys used?
also the sound deadening stuff on floors.is it a case of chipping away at it for what seems weeks on end!!!

Attachments

• DSC02602.JPG
    DSC02602.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

SaintZed

Forum User
I used a blow torch and a scraper to remove the underseal. This will cause the paint to blister on the otherside but I was striping and painting the engine bay also so it didn't matter.
The hard yellow stuff is a protective primer coat and if its still good after stripping the underseal and is not rusted underneath I would leave it on.

Will post some pics of the job I did a little later.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I'm doing mine at the moment with white spirit and a scraper. I thought it would be quite comfortable laying on my back, but my neck and shoulders are absolutely killing me!

It's taking ages, about 2 days just to do one floorpan :(

I've reached the stage where I'm thinking 'what the **** have I started..?' and 'why did I think this would be a good idea?'

I think being in a confined space with cellulose thinners would make the job much more interesting!

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
ok nice one.yes guess with the primer once ive got rid of the underseal i could paint over the top of it.i think the side im doing at mo was welded etc at fourways many years ago.so metal seems very solid

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
These are the good times of car renovation aren't they :eek:

I've spent many hours scraping underseal off and to be honest I'd still do it that way i.e. remove as much as you can without using chemicals. Then finish off with a 'petrol rag' but keep the garage well ventilated. Best to use gloves too but it's not always easy is it?

On jobs like this you just have to 'chip away' at it until it's finished and be patient. Yes it's good for the neck muscles, oh to have one of those frames for turning the body upside down!

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
well i move the car out of garage so theres plenty of air and on nice sunny day couple of cold cans of murpheys help the day go by.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
I have done several cars over the years, and the quickest way I have found to strip under seal is to use nitromors paint stripper, but whatever way you do it, it still involves a lot of work.

Mr.F

Inactive
Does anyone know how to get underseal out of hair? :p

telly-savalas.jpg

moonraker_tom

Well-Known Forum User
I used to chip the undersael away with an old chiesel, and wipe with petrol.

My dad bought me a pair of heavy duty gloves and a shower cap, I said I would n't wear that, he just smiled and walked away - later that day after about an hour of using various chemicals, including butter I went and had a skin head cut. Since then I use a shower cap - Dad :bow:
My only regret is that I have lost the photo's :D

Recommendation, comfortable trolley with head rest, good music and a SHOWER CAP :lol: & a camera ;)

SaintZed

Forum User
Pics below as promised.
It took me about half day each side to remove the underseal by heating it up with a blow torch and scrapping it off.

Attachments

• 2_OS Underseal Removed_sm.jpg
    2_OS Underseal Removed_sm.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 6_OS POR-15 Treatment_sm.jpg
    6_OS POR-15 Treatment_sm.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 8_Primer1_sm.jpg
    8_Primer1_sm.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 9_Painted1_sm.jpg
    9_Painted1_sm.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 9_Painted2_sm.jpg
    9_Painted2_sm.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 41

SaintZed

Forum User
excellent pics..wish i had that room to work in

Thanks and the place is my mates bodyshop - he kindly let me do the work there and then did all the paint work for a couple of beers. :D

By the way, I did a covering of POR15 rust preventative paint (the black paint in the pics) before primer. This stuff imo is excellent and stops any further rust developing and is so tuff its resistance to all kinds of knocks including stone chips.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
POR-15 is awesome stuff, my plan is to use the silver type then go over the top with black chassis coat, that way I will be able to tell if the top coat has chipped off anywhere.

And yeah, that underseal is impossible to remove from hair -- I resorted to setting the clippers to grade one and shaving it all out. I think I've eaten quite a lot of it too from where I was concentrating and had my mouth open.