ultimate half shaft upgrade ????

Wyn

Club Member
Time will tell but mine has been ok on Z31 shafts so far ..
How much better that kit is I couldn't say but its a big difference in cost

I thought you had Z31 shafts anyway Tel ?

tel240z

Club Member
Yes i got a set of Z31 shafts Wyn And havn't had any problems with them falling off the shelf in the garage, i am still using 43 year old 240Z shafts and knocking on 10.99 seconds so thought i had better do something in that region

Wyn

Club Member
As you have them already I would make up a set of those Z31 shafts
The std shafts will break sometime so you may as well ?

johnymd

Club Member
I've run a few different options since 2011, when I put the 1j in. Started with standard worn 240 axles for a while, which were OK but was always worried about braking then. Then I went to 280zx axles and made up my own companion flanges. These lasted for a bit but after 100 or so hard launches I managed to snap a shaft so replace with a brand new axle. Another year passes and another 100+ launches and I snap another under extreme abuse. I then lose faith in them so move over to z31 axles with custom shafts and companion flanges/stub axles. Another year + goes by and they the joints have quite a bit of plan so I'm once again looking for a better solution.

I'm guessing Terry doesn't want to go though the same process and expense so is keen to only do it once. I can see the appeal of this and would like to go this route myself but as is always the case, I have no money to spend on the car so will have to make do.

Looks like a great option Terry and I would certainly be looking for an option that would allow me to use off the shelf CV's.

Wyn

Club Member
I would say mine have a reasonable amount of play in them, but that could be the used joints that are showing their age.
But as it is its done so will make do unless they do break. Not much chance of that atm mind :D

strugrat

Club Member
Granted the website isnt the best but on the OZ forums SW motorsport is pretty well respected.

I guess if more information was needed then you'd have to email.

zed660

Forum User
Send Stewart an email and he will respond. I have just bought a set to upgrade my original shafts, with the current exchange rate between Aus and the Old Dart they could be a reasonable proposition even taking into account the freight. Stewart supplies parts to many of the Z's running in the Safari Rally

Wyn

Club Member
Post up a pic of them. Would be interesting to see how they are made and with what type joints ?

zed660

Forum User
Ultimate half shaft upgrade

These are the best I can get with my Android, I hope they upload ok. As I understand it Stewart has new shafts made to the correct length and then treated and resplined, I believe he uses 280Z?? hub adapters which he has resplined to suit 260Z hubs (27 splines)

Attachments

• 20160217_194808.jpg
    20160217_194808.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160217_195226.jpg
    20160217_195226.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 44

johnymd

Club Member
This is very similar to the setup I was running on my 396HP car except that the shaft is uprated on these. I made my own companion flange and used the original 280zx shafts, that I snapped a couple of times. Should be OK for quite a bit of power but still use old CV's. I'd rate this as a nice easy stage 2 upgrade.

johnymd

Club Member
If I was doing the ultimate driveshaft upgrade I'd want to upgrade the stub axles too, as I've done on my current setup. If I was starting from scratch again I would go for a kit that used modern off the shelf CV's.