UK 260 (green) on ebay

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Agreed - I love the colour but things like the rust coming in by the bonnet hinges is concerning.

uk66fastback

Club Member
The ads you see where people have owned the car for many years are few and far between. I think that someone owning the car for a long time is a big plus - they should know the car inside out. Few ads (for whatever car) mention the length of ownership. People don't seem to think it matters in my experience. THis oes look like an honest car albeit with a few issues, none of which are that much of a negative.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
The ads you see where people have owned the car for many years are few and far between. I think that someone owning the car for a long time is a big plus - they should know the car inside out. Few ads (for whatever car) mention the length of ownership. People don't seem to think it matters in my experience. THis oes look like an honest car albeit with a few issues, none of which are that much of a negative.

The chassis rails have been plated over and in the process the ARB mounts lost so they've bolted the entire way through the arm...enough concern for me. Probably end up crushing the rail trying to torque it up.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
You're a tough bunch of judges. It looks great.

So do most of the cat D/S and other write offs on ebay and this has probably had more work than most... and as for his statement of the car having 'absolutely no filler' - well what did he use?! :D

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think he maybe means there's not half an inch down one side etc. As to the price, I have no idea - people can ask what they want - but getting it is another matter. I do like the colour though and the general look of the exterior - much more my things than huge arches and half an inch from the floor :D

I am old though, remember

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Dan, I noticed that ARB situation too however some people modified their mounting by doing that - drilling right through and then using tubing to prevent crushing. Whether this is the case here I don't know.

richiep

Club Member
Looks like a classic profiteering flip is occurring. With crappy advert and all - totally at odds with the honest original assessment.

FYI, I know this car. Previous owner Steve was longtime Cheshire Plainz guy, although he hadn’t been active for some time. I’ve seen that car on our club stand at events like Tatton Park in years gone past. It’s a nice car overall and was honestly presented in the first ad. By current restoration expectations, it’s got things that date it (25 years ago, not everyone could get, or afford proper repro floorpans for example) but I’d consider it worth having and incrementally improving while using.

Reseller taking the piss though!

Jay.

Club Member
The original advert for when the car went unsold for £28k, in case anyone stumbles across this and it is no longer available:

Alas the time has come to finally sell my beloved Datsun 260Z 2-seater coupe. A 1974, UK RHD model, I have owned this car for 30 years. It was the subject of a substantial body restoration in the 90's, and whilst it has picked up several minor, age related blemishes over the years, it still looks and indeed still is in excellent overall condition, having always been garaged during my ownership, waxoyled every couple of years, and never knowingly driven in the rain.

The restoration consisted of practically a new body, after a previous owner had fitted an unsightly bodykit popular in the 80's. Brand new panels consisted of a new roof (to replace a glass sunroof), 2 new rear quarter panels (a huge wraparound rear spoiler had been fitted which damaged the originals), a new complete rear panel, 2 new outer sections of the inner rear arches, 2 new wings, 2 new sills, 2 new headlamp scoops, a new bonnet, a new glassfibre one piece lower front panel, and a mint second had tailgate was sourced. There is NO filler on this car. A previous owner had replaced the floors pans, and although these are rather unsightly sheet metal affairs, they were and still are solid. I have receipts for everything. Many, many mechanical parts were replaced during the rebuild and in the end the car was off the road for 16 years.

More recent expenditure includes a full stainless steel exhaust and manifold, a new windscreen, stainless steel bumpers, 4 new Michelin tyres & front brake pads.

This is a matching numbers car, and the engine appears to be in excellent condition. The current mileage is 117.526. It has 2" SU carbs. As far as i'm aware, the bottom end has never been touched, it has excellent oil pressure and the temerature gauge stays where it should. I MOT it each year, even though it is MOT (& Tax) free.

Naturally, as an older restoration, it has a couple of issues. Some play has appeared in the nearside rear hub. Most likely it's a worn stub axle. It drives fine and didn't come up as an advisory but will need fixing sooner or later. I have sourced a good s/h stub axle and purchased new genuine Nissan bearings, oil seal and locknut. I don't have the skills required to do the job myself, and haven't been able to find anyone local to do it, but at least the parts are there. Also some rust has appeared on both front panels where the bonnet hinges are bolted. I have a replacement panel for one side. Additionally, there are several minor blemishes which should be mentioned,

passenger door won't lock with key but locks from inside (needs adjustment)
tacho doesn't work (could be because of an uprated 280ZX dizzy, plenty of info on web)
fuel gauge innacurate (a new sender was fitted but it needs adjustment)
first to second gear can be a little stiff
one of the interior plastic rear quarter panels is missing (damaged years ago, can't find correct replacement)
paint has lifted at the bottom of the rear tailgate glass
the fuel flap has a crack in the paint
a very small oil leak from the near the bellhousing (the size of a 50p after being stood for about a week)
a very minor dent on each front wing (difficult to see)
a couple of stonechips on the bonnet, & a small dent when the bonnet was closed whilst something was under it
dash vinyl has a crack from the sun (most have)
drivers door drops a little (worn hinge pins)
passenger door / sill is a little skew-whiff

Please don't be put off by this list of blemishes, most can easily be fixed or lived with, I'm sure many sellers wouldn't even bother mentioning most of the above. At the end of the day it is a used car nearly 47 years old and IMO is in an excellent overall condition. It comes with a good indoor cover, a few spares, and a spare set of keys. I welcome and encourage viewings, but the winner comes to pay and collect the car, not to view and haggle. Car is located in Rossendale OL12. It will not leave until funds have cleared. There is no buy it now price. Payment and collection within 7 days of auction end. Thanks for looking.