Tyres

ianl

Well-Known Forum User
I have toyo proxes t1r on one zed and eagle f1 on the other

Its time for new boots all round

From all the differnt tyres i've had i think i'm going with toyo ( partly due to the limited selection in stock uk rear size)

For my slicktop (17") as i do the ocasional track day, but it is still a daily drive car, i'm wondering about the various toyo proxes available:

Toyo proxes T1R
Toyo proxes T1 sport
Toyo proxes R1R

I like the comfort and softness of my current T1R but have no experience of the others

Has any one tried any of the other toyos?

The toyo brochure is very good at telling you what is good about each tyre, but it is dificult to work out what are the downsides. For example is the better handling at the expense of the comfort etc

I'm woried about spending loads thinking i'm getting a better tyre and then not liking it / regretting it

Ive used all 3, not on a 240z though.The r1r's are something special, cheaper than the r888, same compound but with 1.5mm more tread and a tread pattern that allows them to work in the wet, according to Toyo guys 95% as good in the dry. The last 5% comes from the r888's.

racer

Club Member
Just got back from Spa with Tel 240 who has these on his Zed. I sat in with him for a few laps and yes they were very impressive. As franky suggests I think they are much more of an every day tire than the 888's. I run the T1R's on my Mr2 runabout and there ok for a cheapish road tyre and there really good in the wet but, I don't think they would be much good on the track imo.

tel240z

Club Member
Just got back from Spa with Tel 240 who has these on his Zed. I sat in with him for a few laps and yes they were very impressive. As franky suggests I think they are much more of an every day tire than the 888's. I run the T1R's on my Mr2 runabout and there ok for a cheapish road tyre and there really good in the wet but, I don't think they would be much good on the track imo.
Yokohama / OUR TYRES / ADVAN Neova AD08

No Matt (racer) i have these i'll make allowances for you due to the sun but yes your right though a good all round road and exellent track tyre

racer

Club Member
Doh! Sorry Ian for the duff info.
Thanks Tel for correcting me. See you tommorow at the meeting

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Haven't tried Toyos, but just to throw them into the mix, I recently put some Avon Coopers on the rear of my Z and am very impressed with them, even over the Falkens I had on it previously. They're very grippy, even more so when warm and they're surprisingly grippy in the wet too, all for the princely sum of £298 fitted!

Dale

Club Member
I have T1Rs on the 260 and although they're brilliant in the wet, I don't have huge confidence in them for fast driving. They feel like they're 'creeping' when going round high speed corners. I think the tyre wall must be on the soft side which causes this sensation, which is a tad unnerving.

johnymd

Club Member
I've gone for r888's and love them, even in the wet. What I have noticed thought, is how much the suspension geometry makes is just how grippy they feel. My front gives a massive amount of grip and I'm yet to find the limits. The back,on the other hand, still feels a bit loose, even coasting though the corner(so its not just under power), I find the car trying to overstear as the back moves around. I need to do a local open pit lane and play around with the rea geometry to get them working as well as the front. From this it would be easy to say the tyres aren't very good but this is not the case.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My front gives a massive amount of grip and I'm yet to find the limits

John that was THE most impressive thing for me when you took me around Spa - I couldn't believe how late you could brake and turn-in.

My lad did a track-day on T1Rs at Mallory in his 106 GTi. Good grip but he wrecked the nearside front - they get hot and are soft.