Tyre sizes

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Hey guys i was wondering if someone could tell me how wide of tyre i can get away with at the rear of my 260z? I've been speaking to a company who custom make alloys and can make them any size they want i wanted something quite wide as ill be adding the fender flares but i also like the idea of huge tyres at the back aswell so any help would be appreciated thanks.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It depends on the wheel offset - looking around the interwebs it seems like the general thinking is that there is 4.5" of backspace on an S30, but I wonder if that applies to the 240Z only. The first thing that's going to cause clearance issues is the lower spring perch and seeing as it can be in one of three different positions whether you have a 240, early 260 or late 260 I would also like to know a definitive answer to your question.

If you are running adjustable coilovers then it isn't really an issue.

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
its a late 260 78" thanks i guess ill just have to have a wheel off and measure it then if its all diff positions

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Bear in mind different brands of tyre bulge differently, so two tyres of the same width and sidewall specs might not actually have the same clearance when they are on the car.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
225 is the biggest i have had on my standard 240Z but it all depends on profile,tyre choice and if your car is lowered

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
no car isn't lowered i think ill just get a diff offset so it pokes more i have 195/70/14 on it at the mo so its a guide. also thanks for the info aswell :)

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
normal backspacing is about 115mm to 120mm you can go a bit more but it might catch on the spring seats but fitting coilover sleeves would you some more space.