Tyre replacement

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi all

I have just checked the tyres on my zed and it looks like they were made in 2010 if I read the code correct (3510).

I am aware that the recommendation is to change if 10 years or over but the tread is v good and I can't see any sign of cracking or degradation on the walls. Should I think about replacing them anyway? I do about 1500 miles a year in the car but significantly less over last year and I haven't driven it yet this year☹️.

I have never had to worry about the age of tyres before as my daily drivers always wear them out way before 10 years.

Farmer42

Club Member
They’ll most likely be fine.

current guid lines are based on them being exposed to high levels of uv from when they’re fitted.

They are the ones I got from you with the slot mags a couple of years ago. The car is always parked in a garage so only gets exposed to uv when I drive it which is pretty rarely lately.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well Mr Farmer, I’m with Johny on this one. In my humble experience of tyres, 5 years tends to be the limit. They even go off in storage, that is partly why (I’m told) manufacturers put that horrid coating on that makes you wheel spin out of the tyre shop or junctions for the first 20-30 miles.

If you are happy with them, my question is how do they feel pressing on in the dry and on a wet surface? Do they brake well / lock up? The rubber will be well past it’s best and it’s a matter of what you are doing with the car regardless of miles.

All things being equal where I don’t like old tyres is emergency braking where they will take an extra say metre or two to stop than fresh rubber - that’s a lot of bonnet, wings and bumpers! ;)

For my money I would get fresh rubber and Ebay the ones you have.

A white van man with bald /cracked South African tyres bought my 7 year old 4x Michelins with 6-7mm for £100 on eBay. I didn’t feel guilty given the tyres he had on, so he got a great deal. I spent about £300 on fresh rubber (Bridgestone Turanza T005) that grips superbly and inspires confidence in all conditions. If I had 15” wheels then it would have been a £100 less. So for the little extra and given my spirited driving style, I see it as an insurance policy. How much money have I spent on the car v £200 over 5 years that will save me from an incident under heavy braking or in the wet?

Farmer42

Club Member
They feel good and I have not had any problems with grip in any condition.

However all the blurb I have read says that tyres don't last if not used regularly so I don't really know the true condition. My gut feeling is to change them anyway but that opens another can of worms deciding what to go for that my wallet can cope with. Plenty of time to research and decide ( and save up!!!).

They feel good and I have not had any problems with grip in any condition.

However all the blurb I have read says that tyres don't last if not used regularly so I don't really know the true condition. My gut feeling is to change them anyway but that opens another can of worms deciding what to go for that my wallet can cope with. Plenty of time to research and decide ( and save up!!!).

mice posted on here before what the manufacturers say- not the resellers! I’m fussy about most things rubber... I’d be happy to keep them unless you were after another ‘type’ of tyre