Triple Webers with standard fuel pump

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Hi All, I hope everyone has enjoyed the summer.

I'm just in the process of installing my triple webers, and I'm just trying to figure out the fuel system, if somebody more clued up could please shed some light.

I'm currently planning on sticking with the stock fuel pump, but obviously with the original carbs there is a return line and with the webers there isn't the provision. Do you just blank the return line to the tank off?

Current state of play...
IMG_7027.jpg

Thanks,

Matthew

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You can just blank the return, or you can get different ('T') fuel unions on the carbs so you can have a return line.
I'm not sure the stock mechanical pump flows enough - most people add an electric pump and a regulator. Small extra £ after paying all that for those shiny carbs!

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Jon,

I've just found an extra (3rd) 'T' online which would solve the issue of a return, and would mean I could stick to the stock fuel rail for the time being (although I note your point about the electronic fuel pump, which is something I'll probably look at if I can't get the desired pressure from the existing system)

Much appreciated,

Matthew

Healey 12

Club Member
Hi
I have gone with an electronic fuel pump on mine and still get the occasional blip through lack of fuel when driving hard

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Hi
I have gone with an electronic fuel pump on mine and still get the occasional blip through lack of fuel when driving hard

Electronic or Electric?

I'd always recommend a Bendix patent 'interruptor' type cylindrical (Facet Red Top or similar) electric pump over the 'cube' type pumps. Site it near the tank ('push' location, rather than 'pull' location in the engine bay as with the Mitsuba type pumps) and it should be fine. There's even built-in factory wiring for it.

Have used them for years with no problems. I always remove the stock mechanical pump and block the mounting hole off. I 'Dead Head' the fuel feed and either block or remove the return line.

Healey 12

Club Member
Thanks yes the pump is located next to the tank and the blip only happens after hard breaking , directional change and then hard acceleration and only a very slight blip :) probably live with it

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks yes the pump is located next to the tank and the blip only happens after hard breaking , directional change and then hard acceleration and only a very slight blip :) probably live with it

Sounds like a fuel pick-up/sloshing (in tank) problem rather than a pump problem to me.

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Just a quick additional question as I've progressed with the installation today. Do you guys who have webers installed have to cut down (in the centre part) the stock linkage on the throttle? I mocked it up and found it to be about 60mm too long in order for the hook to meet up with the Weber linkage.

IMG_7046.jpg

Thanks,

Matthew

Healey 12

Club Member
Yes I had to . I also found the stock lever arms when rotated did not give me full throttle, so I had to purchase some longer ones . By the looks of your picture you might just be okay but worth checking

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Yes I had to . I also found the stock lever arms when rotated did not give me full throttle, so I had to purchase some longer ones . By the looks of your picture you might just be okay but worth checking

Thanks buddy, once it's hooked up I'll check the lever arms as you have suggested. They're wound all the way in at the moment so should hopefully be some scope for lengthening if needs be.

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
As is typical - I've overcome one conundrum only for another to raise it's ugly head.

So, the Weber kit came with alternative lever arms which connect to the other side of the carb housing to allow for the linkage bar and subsequent arms to all be connected however as you can see below, the bolt (and nut) that connect the lever arms to the tie rods clashes with what appears to be a fixture for maybe a heatshield? I know Healey 12 (above) had to get longer lever arms for a different reason but has anyone else had this issue and found another resolution? I mean, I could maybe get a narrower nut and cut the bolt down - just seems very odd although I've come to expect that these various kits for older vehicles often need a bit of extra manipulation haha.

5d32e0f5-2fdd-441c-9adf-3b2fe454dfef.JPG

Thanks,

Matthew

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
Hi All, I hope everyone has enjoyed the summer.

I'm just in the process of installing my triple webers, and I'm just trying to figure out the fuel system, if somebody more clued up could please shed some light.

I'm currently planning on sticking with the stock fuel pump, but obviously with the original carbs there is a return line and with the webers there isn't the provision. Do you just blank the return line to the tank off?

Current state of play...
View attachment 52807

Thanks,

Matthew
tripple webers!! this pic should be on a calendar:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: