Triple DCOE heat shield

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
I am looking at making a heat shield to fit underneath the Webers.

The main concern is to protect against any drops of fuel landing on the hot manifold. The actual effectiveness against heat soak is less of a concern.

I have looked at a couple of ready made designs and I am not entirely convinced by anything I've seen so far but I stumbled across a design on eBay that got me thinking...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEMI-6-TRI...908618?hash=item1a96aa8a4a:g:tZIAAOSwcyVbg-l0

So the questions I have are...

Does this Mopar design seem like a good idea? Does anyone any know if it would fit the Z?
Is it sensible to use the threaded hole in the middle of the underside of carbs to mount the brackets?
As an alternative, would the small threaded eyelet holes on the outer sides of the DCOEs be a sensible location to fit in a threaded rod and suspend a drip tray underneath?
These holes seem unused on the carbs...what are they actually there for?

If anyone has any pics of their own design I'd love to see them

Paul_S

Club Member
I've got individual shields on my Dellortos.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not sure how good they are if the carbs leak fuel, but what I can say is that on the way to Silverstone 2019 on the hottest day of the year I was sat in traffic on the M25 for 1/2 hour with the engine running and it didn't suffer a hint of vapour lock.

They are easy on the eye too (barely visible on the car).

I got them from Eurocarb --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/eurocarbdellortoandwebercarbs

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not sure how good they are if the carbs leak fuel, but what I can say is that on the way to Silverstone 2019 on the hottest day of the year I was sat in traffic on the M25 for 1/2 hour with the engine running and it didn't suffer a hint of vapour lock.

I got them from Eurocarb --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/eurocarbdellortoandwebercarbs
I used them too. They worked well - without them, fuel was boiling in the carbs and spitting out the trumpets.

Paul_S

Club Member
I used them too. They worked well - without them, fuel was boiling in the carbs and spitting out the trumpets.
That's good to hear. I'd not run the car without them so couldn't compare. I was pleased I had no issues last summer though :)

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers all.

I quite like the look of small individual shields, but doubt they’ll provide much protection against fuel leakage.

Atoman yours looks great. Where does mount? Is it in between the carb body and the trumpets?

Does anyone have any advise on mounting to the (seemingly redundant) eyelets on the other sides of the carb bodies?

atomman

Club Member
Cheers all.

I quite like the look of small individual shields, but doubt they’ll provide much protection against fuel leakage.

Atoman yours looks great. Where does mount? Is it in between the carb body and the trumpets?

Does anyone have any advise on mounting to the (seemingly redundant) eyelets on the other sides of the carb bodies?

Yes its mounts like you said, Under the trumpets/air filters so they clamp it to the carb body , works great on my Z

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm not sure I buy the use case of pooling leaked fuel in an open container between carbs and exhaust!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I'm not sure I buy the use case of pooling leaked fuel in an open container between carbs and exhaust!

Totally agree and precisely why my homemade shield goes all the way down to the chassis rails to avoid splashing onto a hot manifold - the rest of the exhaust though is still a risk ;)

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Christian. I’ve ordered some materials to have a go at making one myself. Even it it takes me 3 attempts (which is highly probable!) it’ll still be cheaper then buying a pre made one!

Makesy

Club Member
Cheers Christian. I’ve ordered some materials to have a go at making one myself. Even it it takes me 3 attempts (which is highly probable!) it’ll still be cheaper then buying a pre made one!
Interested in seeing this Phil. Keep us updated!

ZAndy

Club Member

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen these before and been wanting to sort a heat shield for a while. I've ordered them.

These paired with foam air filters I'm hoping will be pretty safe, cooler carbs and no fuel can spit into the engine bay. As long as the foam filter doesn't soak so much up they get dangerous. They shouldn't sell them if that's likely!

Paul_S

Club Member
Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen these before and been wanting to sort a heat shield for a while. I've ordered them.

These paired with foam air filters I'm hoping will be pretty safe, cooler carbs and no fuel can spit into the engine bay. As long as the foam filter doesn't soak so much up they get dangerous. They shouldn't sell them if that's likely!
No problem. I hope you're as happy with them as I am.

This is how mine looked when I fitted them:

gallery_245_510_226287.jpg

You wouldn't know would you?!

Timbo

Club Member

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi. These look like a great find and I presume could be fitted additionally to the heat shield/protectors that sit under and attach to the trumpet intakes.
The link seems not to work, so here's another one. Again presuming that the ones listed for the Soft Mount MGB MINI fit our DCOE 40s?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264743978458

Timbo

Club Member

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Apologies if this sounds daft, but were you able to fit these to the carbs while on the car? Or did you have to remove them?

Paul_S

Club Member
My carbs were already off the car. I think you'd really struggle to fit them when on the car. It might be possible if you didn't have the exhaust manifold fitted.