Transmission & Diff Choice for 2JZ-GTE VVTi swap in a ‘77 280Z

solitarysensei

Forum User
Hey all,

Hope you’re good. I’ve been browsing the HybridZ forums a bit but I’ve not managed to find anything specific to the swap that I’m doing. I have a 280z and a 2JZ-GTE VVTi and not sure whether to mate with either a T56 Magnum F or a CD009. Please feel free to direct me to a thread which can answer what I’m outlining below!

These would be my two options both brand new. Grannas T56 Magnum F kit or the Collins/Autosports CD009 adapter kits..

GearT-56 FCD009
1st2.663.78
2nd1.782.32
3rd1.301.62
4th1.001.27
5th0.801.00
6th0.630.79

I’m based in West Sussex with a LHD 1977 280Z. Lots of twisty roads and sharp turns round here :D. Not really too fussed about cruising and fuel economy as this will not be a daily. I’ll be looking to build my Z primarily for spirited driving and to be able to take on track occasionally. I will be doing a single turbo conversion and looking to push around 500 bhp max.

I have to say I am leaning more towards the CD009 because of parts availability, it is also cheaper too. Although it is a much bulkier transmission and will need some work done to fit in the tunnel nicely.

But when it comes to drivability I’m really stuck between both CD009 and T56 Magnum F (close ratio version) and what would be better suited to what I want to build the car for based on the conditions above (I guess for the type of roads over here and the tracks we have, shorter gears are better?)

I’m also quite unsure on which diff I should go for that will get the most out of whatever transmission I decide on.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what is the best pairing would be for the 2JZ in terms of transmission and diff? Can I stick with the long nose R200? Or do a SN R200 conversion, 8.8 conversion… etc. Just trying to really narrow down those options.

There are a few bits that’s I’ve read about each transmission but I haven’t managed to find technical pros and cons/justifications that is specific to my chassis and swap. I’m not sure how much of that information I can take to crossover with my build so I just would rather ask to make sure. Usually it’s based on S-chassis or Supra bodies.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me! Thank you very much.

Raman

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Have you looked at the Datsunworks/Godzilla CD009 kit?
I think you can be OK with the std R200, but you might well need to add a Quaife or some other LSD, and you'll probably need an upgrade to the drive shafts and maybe the the propshaft flange/UJ too if you're going to give it beans.
BTW, be careful of old ladies in dented blue minis. My mum lives near you :)

solitarysensei

Forum User
Heya yes I did have a look at that kit, but looks like it’s just to mate to the L28?
Yep I was looking at Godzilla’s OS Giken LSD so was thinking of building the LN R200 with that. I did want to do the T3 SN rear end though… maybe later! :D

Do you know where I’d get the upgraded axles? I cannot find any 300ZX TT for the life of me and I’ve also read some not very good things about Whitehead Performance recently…

Haha I think they’ve got to be careful of me to be honest, I’m not used to this LHD business!! 😂😂 Will keep a look out :D

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Doh, yes, it is for L28. Shipping on the Quaife would be a lot cheaper than the OSG one. There seem to be a few CV kits around, but all expensive and all seem to not take a lot more than std ones.
@johnymd has a 1JZ with R200 I'm sure, and had drive shaft trouble, he might be able to share his solution.

solitarysensei

Forum User
Doh, yes, it is for L28. Shipping on the Quaife would be a lot cheaper than the OSG one. There seem to be a few CV kits around, but all expensive and all seem to not take a lot more than std ones.
@johnymd has a 1JZ with R200 I'm sure, and had drive shaft trouble, he might be able to share his solution.
That’s true. Will have a look at it.
Yep they’re really expensive. Ah awesome, that would be great @johnymd :)! Thank you

solitarysensei

Forum User
Another option ?

I think this is another one for L-Series only unfortunately… I don’t think Godzilla support the 2JZ platform for any drivetrain conversions/adapters (yet). Seems to just be timing component upgrades for now

ALN

Club Member
Hi @solitarysensei ,

I'm running a T56 with an R200 Long Nose (with OBX Helical LSD and 3.54 gear ratio).
That's mated to a 6.0 V8 Supercharged....

First gear is hardly worth using as the V8 has so much torque
2nd, 3rd, 4th and fifth gears are insane for acceleration - EXTRA:D
6th is complete overdrive and does something like 1400 rpm at 60mph - also living out in the country and pretty much don't use 6th gear at all

Drop me a message if you want to talk more

Cheers, Lionel

solitarysensei

Forum User
Hi @solitarysensei ,

I'm running a T56 with an R200 Long Nose (with OBX Helical LSD and 3.54 gear ratio).
That's mated to a 6.0 V8 Supercharged....

First gear is hardly worth using as the V8 has so much torque
2nd, 3rd, 4th and fifth gears are insane for acceleration - EXTRA:D
6th is complete overdrive and does something like 1400 rpm at 60mph - also living out in the country and pretty much don't use 6th gear at all

Drop me a message if you want to talk more

Cheers, Lionel

Hey! Thanks for your msg, will give you a shout!
Raman