Track-day tyres

johnymd

Club Member
I use R888-R.

Seam to grip well but don't have anything to compare and I'm not even sure I have the ability to tell the difference even if I did have a choice. I previously went through several sets of R888's. Couldn't tell you if these are better or not.

Price is reasonable at around £180 each and they do generally last the year of around 6000 miles and about 4-5 track days.

ben240z

Club Member
Grip costs money Sean. If you have not found the limits of the R888R then buy something cheaper. If you have found those limits then PAY the money and stay on the track. Body/chassis repairs are expensive

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Grip costs money Sean. If you have not found the limits of the R888R then buy something cheaper. If you have found those limits then PAY the money and stay on the track. Body/chassis repairs are expensive

Totally agreed but grip and limited tyre wear cost more than grip and quick tyre wear.

Seeing as I won't need nearly as many track-days as John, I'm looking for a more cost effective annual tyre budget.

Full slicks are out as my car wasn't conceived to handle the body stresses they'll create - I need a bit of 'slip and drift'.:p

johnymd

Club Member
I have bought second hand in the past and would not again. Tyres don't work well when they are old and IMO the ones you see for sale are for sale because they are getting old. I wouldn't you a tyre that's more than 2 years from its date stamp. It will not be as good as a new tyre.

Mine are getting near the end of their life so will probably look for an alternative and change the wheel size if I need to.

johnymd

Club Member
I will also need a set of track tyres for the silver car soon and not settled on wheel size so will pick a tyre before the wheel.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If you are competing spend the money and buy the best.

If it's for trackdays buy the bargains, enjoy the day and as long as they are trackday tyres e.g. Yoko A048 etc they will not let you down.

At least 2/3 of my tyres over 10 years were secondhand and as long as it was dry they were great. If it's wet then you need the tread-depth, damp and you will be fine. If you have spare sets of wheels (I had 25 at one time) you can juggle to suit the weather.

I wouldn't buy secondhand tyres for my road car.

Last edited by a moderator:

ben240z

Club Member
The question is why ? People upgrading to other makes ?

Because they have been removed from the list of tyres allowed by the MSA for roadgoing use and so are up for sale as people buy new sets

Try to find some Yoko A008R tyres. They are good

ben240z

Club Member
Look at the list of tyres that were in the List 1A in the blue book for road going classes. They have been removed for a reason. They are the ones I would be looking at for trackday tyres