Tracing who owns a car through DVLA

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I want to trace who owns an old car of mine does anybody know if the DVLA can do this?. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow but wondered if anybody else has ever done this.

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Can you do anything if you only know the number plate? There was one I wanted for my Z last year but didn't have the cash at the time. Then it disappeared from the lists and I don't know if it was bought or what.

Cheers,

Tony

Nidge74

New Forum User
Tony, as long as you know the number plate and make of vehicle you can search the DVLA database, but this will only show if the car is currently taxed or SORNed, or the date it was last due.

EXAMPLE: My Z31

Date of Liability 01 09 2008 (This shows expiry date of current status - See below)
Date of First Registration 24 10 1986
Year of Manufacture 1986
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2960CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due (If taxed this says "Licence not due" - If not taxed or SORNed will say UNLICENSED )
Vehicle Colour WHITE

Hope this helps

240_Z

Well-Known Forum User
Tony, as long as you know the number plate and make of vehicle you can search the DVLA database, but this will only show if the car is currently taxed or SORNed, or the date it was last due.

EXAMPLE: My Z31

Date of Liability 01 09 2008 (This shows expiry date of current status - See below)
Date of First Registration 24 10 1986
Year of Manufacture 1986
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2960CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due (If taxed this says "Licence not due" - If not taxed or SORNed will say UNLICENSED )
Vehicle Colour WHITE

Hope this helps

Not strictly true.
I just checked one of my old ones I scrapped years ago and it still shows.

Nidge74

New Forum User
Not strictly true.
I just checked one of my old ones I scrapped years ago and it still shows.

But i would be guessing that it shows "unlicensed" under the vehicle status, unless someone keeps paying the tax on it. :)

Tony 260Z

Club Member
OH MY GOD.... they put it on a Merc!!!!

B*st*rds! B*st*rds! B*st*rds!!!

Damn.... now I REALLY wish I'd bought it.... :-(

Dale

Club Member
The same thing happened to me Tony. Saw 'D4LOS' for sale, went back about a month later after getting some money together and it was gone!
That's on a bloody Merc too!:mad:

240_Z

Well-Known Forum User
OH MY GOD.... they put it on a Merc!!!!

B*st*rds! B*st*rds! B*st*rds!!!

Damn.... now I REALLY wish I'd bought it.... :-(

Moral of the story:
If you seriously want something - buy it.
Borrow the money or take a short term loan out.
Pay the money back and you`ve got what you want.
ie - just go for it - lifes too short to keep wishing you
had done something.

Dale

Club Member
You couldn't use it on your Z though:(

True, this was before I had the Zed though.

There should be some sort of allowance for numbers that clearly aren't being use to make the car look younger. I mean, an '86 260Z?!? Who would believe that?:confused: