toyota Hilux/Peugeot 505 brake upgrade

atomman

Club Member
Morning All

I have the S12+8 4 pot callipers on the front of my 240z and they are pretty good at stopping it but I wanted to upgrade to vented disc's,

After finding and buying some from German,Swedish & French, about £75 for a pair,

I tried them and realized they needed a spacer, a bit of maching and they didnt fit between the S12 caliipers :( Apprently they do a S12W that is machined out wider for vented disc's but i did'nt have those and from what i measured the pads would be pretty thin anyway

So I thought I would do a thread to help others in the club if they decide to go with the same set up.

You will need -

Toyota Hilux or surf ln130 kzn130 Calipers,
Peugeot 505 Vented front disc's
Some nice machine shop to make you a spacer
Some longer M10 x1.25 bolts , say 40mm (will double check)
Pads for the above callipers

Heres a photo of the disc against an original 240 one

And side by side

I used some drill's to get the disc to sit in the middle of the 240 one to make sure it sat right on the car, tried various drill size's and ended up with 11.5, with the peugeot disc sat dead in the middle of the 240 disc,

So 11.5mm spacer is needed :thumbs: Quick CAD model

Heres the hub

problem is with a spacer the centre of the disc will not be sat on the machined surface to keep it true, putting all the stress on the 4 bolts holding it to the hub,

So i came up with a plan, as the peugeot disc has a smaller bore I will machine it out a little and then machine a bit off the hub for it to sit on, just in front of the other machined diameter, this way the car can still run standard brakes if even needed,

Hope that makes sense, I will take alot more photo's as I go.

Dont think i will have chance to finish it before Japfest though.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Time honoured conversion for hi-lux calipers and peugeot 505 GTI discs, is to use 260z hubs which does away with the need for spacers. Disc will need machining just the same.

atomman

Club Member
Time honoured conversion for hi-lux calipers and peugeot 505 GTI discs, is to use 260z hubs which does away with the need for spacers. Disc will need machining just the same.

Thanks for the info Nigel,

I take it that the 260 hubs are narrower then ? maybe to allow for the the wider 5.5 wheels on the 260z.

atomman

Club Member
Is there a specific Hilux calliper that is needed?

Steve

You can either go with Early Toyota Hilux '79-'83 with S12+8 cast on the side, this makes the front 4 pots but you run standard disc's and does'nt need any mods apart from bolting it on,

Or the later mk3 '93 ish Toyota Hilux/surf LN130 KZN130 calipers for vented disc's like peugeot 505 GTI that need a bit of maching and a spacer making, unless you run 260 hub's as Nigel said above,

Hope that helps

Gary

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I take it that the 260 hubs are narrower then ?

The 260Z hub has the disc mounting surface 10mm closer to the strut so in effect narrower yes. This gives more clearance within the wheel for a wider caliper suitable for the vented-disc.

richiep

Club Member
Of course, the other Hilux setup is the S12-W caliper, with a 1/2" spacer and a Z31 300ZX n/a vented disc. That's what my car has and is available from various sources as a kit, no faffing about required.

I got my remanufactured calipers off eBay and the discs, spacers and stainless lines from Silvermine Motors in the US.

atomman

Club Member
I looked into that conversion to richiep, trying to find disc's for either 505 or 300zx is getting hard these days,

I have the luxury of working in machine shop so making spacers is not a problem and also a lot cheaper :D

atomman

Club Member
Are those the disks that work with Toyota Hilux/surf LN130 KZN130 callipers?

Steve

Yes Steve they are the ones I have in the above photo's.

If your going to do the conversion to I will make you a couple more spacers when i make mine.

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Many thanks, I have a 260 so according to comments I may not need them, but it would be appreciated in case.

Steve

andrew muir

Club Member
Those are the 505gti vented, On my spaced standard calipers I had to get the diameter reduced by 1.5mm and the centre enlarged and also new mounting holes drilled. Got a mate to machine them for £25 the pair.

Are those the disks that work with Toyota Hilux/surf LN130 KZN130 callipers?

Steve

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Those are the 505gti vented, On my spaced standard calipers I had to get the diameter reduced by 1.5mm and the centre enlarged and also new mounting holes drilled. Got a mate to machine them for £25 the pair.

Not sure what you are saying. Do you mean you had the hub reduced and the centre of the 505gti disc enlarged?
Only trouble is you still end up with 2 pot calipers.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Nigel

In meant the outside dia of discs as they can rub slightly on calipers. If not reduced by a mil or so. The inside dia must be increased to fit over the 260 hubs.

I don't know about you but my brakes can easily lock up the front, also these are not floating but opposed.
I have a 2+2 servo which is bigger I believe.
Problem is that when on track they overheat and fade.
So problem is with overheating not caliper power. So no amount of pistons will resolve the issue.
You need vented discs and if possible venting of cold air from front of car.
I am not saying more pistons isn't better they will help a little bit but alone not much.
Willwood or better, and bigger brakes are required to further improve.
I have found the biggest difference was switching to better brake pads.
Whicxh help with feel and still work at high temps.
I also want to keep unsprung weight to a min.I felt the twin caliper route would increase unsprung mass too much. I also got the calipers gifted from
Rob Gaskin.:cheers:

atomman

Club Member
totally agree with you there Andrew, the compond of the pad does make alot of difference

Think I have tried Green Stuff, red stuff and even yellows over the years, Settled on greens for my old '65 Porsche, the Reds took a bit of warming up to get a decent feel.

I think there are a few grades avaliable for the toyota's as the early Subaru pads are the same size but cant confirm this yet till i get some part numbers.

atomman

Club Member
managed to get some time of a machine last night :thumbs:

null_zps3dcfb294.jpg

Bored the disc's out and drilled the new hub PCD, and also made the spacers,

just waiting on some longer M10 x 1.25 bolts I have ordered and should be able to bolt it all on,

Might even cross dril and groove the disc's if i get the chance,