Top end engine builders \ engineering shops

datsfun

Club Member
A work colleague is nearing the restoration of his Jaguar XK140. He is struggling to find a competent machine shop that can return the cylinder head to very exact factory specifications. Being an engineer he is fussy and equally knowledgeable so can assess the competency of the shops quickly. Thus far he has seen 5 + outfits all over the country and rejected...

A replacement cylinder head starts at £8k hence any machining mistakes are going to be costly.

If you have personal recommendations of shops \ persons who may be able to take on such a job please do share.

Mr.G

Club Member
I would say it would be worth also to call this company and have a chat at the very least:

http://initracing.co.uk/

I've not done any major engineering work with them (was going to but my project changed) and I was really impressed with Chris' attitude and the projects he has worked on.

Familiar with old Jaguar engines also.

Farmer42

Club Member
Recently had my E88 head refurbished by Country Engineering at Oldbury on Severn. They did a good job and very reasonable on the price.

Not sure what they can do for a Jaguar Head but it would be no harm having a chat with them.

Probably a daft question but has he tried the Jag Owners Club for recommendations?

Huw

Club Member
Just looked at Country Engineering Facebook page, looks like they have done some speciality Z head upgrade work for other customers. Not yours Paul is it? :D

datsfun

Club Member
Thanks to all those who have posted suggested shops. Will pass these on.

He is a Jag nut as he owns a few so I suspect he has been via the owners club as a starter but probably had little joy?

Feel free to add more...

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
He is struggling to find a competent machine shop that can return the cylinder head to very exact factory specifications. Being an engineer he is fussy and equally knowledgeable so can assess the competency of the shops quickly. Thus far he has seen 5 + outfits all over the country and rejected...

please dont take this the wrong way but i dought very much that the factory spec is going to be as high as his expected standards so even if you find a mint replacement head hes most likely going to reject it let alone let some one re-machine his original.
i work in an engine plant for a very well known brand and have seen the standard of workmanship on cylinder heads, blocks and crankshafts and can assure you no 2 heads are the same so to criticise an engineering shops competency without seeing the results seems a bit harsh to me?
im just giving an honest opinion because i use a local machine shop who is a man in a shed and hes well respected by mechanics locally and has done lots of work for me and ive never had issues.

Farmer42

Club Member
Just looked at Country Engineering Facebook page, looks like they have done some speciality Z head upgrade work for other customers. Not yours Paul is it? :D

No, it's not mine. I only had a refurb i.e. skim, valve seats recut etc not an upgrade.