To resonate or leave unresonated that is the question

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys,

Looking for a little input on tuning the exhaust sound on my z ,
The car has one hell of a rasp when I back off and when I'm on full chat
It is fitted with msa headers, triple 40's and a 2.5 inch straight through exhuast with a monza back box . Compared to some of the other z's I've heard mine has more rasp , will a resonator cut out some of that?

Video of when it was in the states

http://youtu.be/QodFZlzEzdo

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Unsure which header Sean I'll
Have dig out the reciepts (fitted by previous owner)
That exhaust does sound fantastic ( I commented on it when you put it up )
How much is a expansion box posted to the uk ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You should be able to see under the carbs which exhaust manifold it is - it'll be either 6-2 or 6-1 and I'm betting it'll be the 6-1.....(gosh, hope I'm right now).

My expansion (centre) box only fits my exhaust sorry because of the v-band clamp fittings at each end. I'm not looking for a sale here, just sharing experience to help you find your local solution : you should be able to find an inexpensive (perhaps oval so more expension volume) on ebay....?

johnymd

Club Member
I like the rasp sound a zed makes. My green car has no center box and a small generic back box. Its extremely quiet on part throttle but sounds just right when you rev it.

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Sean , there is a power flow just down the road from me so I'll pop in and check out my options.
Johnny I like the rasp too but I have more than normal., heard a few that I like and they sound more throaty ......... Wharrrrrrrrp :)