Tiptronic or not?

dav350z

Club Member
Looking towards replacing my 350 and at the moment will definately go for another.

Really fancy a tiptronic gearbox but obviously that would mean going down the JDM route and I would prefer a UK model.

Anyone know if there are any plans in the future to bring in UK spec tiptronic cars?

Dave.

dav350z

Club Member
Thanks for the pointers towards the topics.

I didn't think it was likely that Nissan would be bringing in UK spec with tiptronic.

I would really like one but it wouldn't stop me buying another 350Z.

Apparently, owners who have the JDM tiptronic's really rate them.

Cheers Dave

rich Zed

Forum User
yeah, the reports I have heard is that the Tiptronic really suits the Z.. Definitely an oversight on behalf of NMGB :(

Russ

Club Member
I imagine you could convert from one to the other, would be interesting to know what hardware differences there are, is the box totally different or is it just some magic bodged on the end of the normal 6 speed?

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Would be nice to hear from a tiptronic 350z owner!....I think this gearbox would suit me!
Cheerz,
JEZ

TheMinel

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
I imagine you could convert from one to the other, would be interesting to know what hardware differences there are, is the box totally different or is it just some magic bodged on the end of the normal 6 speed?
tiptronoc is actually a 5 speed, so I'm guessing it's a different box altogether.

I drove a tiptronic and I have to agree it's a nice box indeed :)

P

p15pathfinder

Before I bought my car I badgered Nissan Customer Services and spoke to a couple of nice people there. When I set the question as to why NMGB were not selling the tiptronic Z in the UK they could not provide an answer. I just think that they feel that this type of car 'must' have a manual box, an incorrect thought I suggest.

I have owned 2 Nissan cars with tiptronic gearboxes and I can say they give the best of both worlds, the smooth and lazy running of a fully automatic and also the lightning fast changes given the fact there is no clutch to play with.

If the tiptronic box was sold here I would most certainly have one.

dav350z

Club Member
JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
Would be nice to hear from a tiptronic 350z owner!....I think this gearbox would suit me!
Cheerz,
JEZ
Yeah, are there any tiptronic owners out there who can give their opinion.

Obviously there are ppl who have driven tiptronic variants or had a go in one but I would really like to hear from someone who has one.

Must admit, the positive comments are tempting me towards a JDM!!

g_torphins

New Forum User
Russ said:
I think the gearboxes are the same just different rear ends.
IIRC the manual has a 3.54 whereas the auto has a 3.3

350Doc

Club Member
I hear than some people have had problems with the solenoids in the tiptronic boxes; a costly repair.