Tips for fitting rear spoiler to 240z?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi all,

Nearing the completion of my restoration. I now need to finish the fitting of my spoiler to the car. At present I've used some 'draft excluder' type material on the boot lid to protect the paint from the abrasive surface of the spoiler, but this was only ever a temporary measure. I'm trying to work out how best to install it. At the moment, i'm concerned any water could potentially get trapped in between and cause future rust issues. I have thought about going round the whole forward edge with silicone sealer.

Before I do that, I thought I'd ask the question here to find out if anyone has any better ideas? How did you fit your spoiler?

Thanks as always, Graeme
IMG_0273.jpeg

Turn & Burn

Club Member
How about 2mm closed cell adhesive foam in a 20mm strip all the way along the edges. This should compress nicely. Alternatively you could use windscreen adhesive, this doesn’t set solid like silicon.

Paul_S

Club Member
The car's looking great! Sorry to go off topic, where did you get your rear number plate from? The size looks just about right.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
How about 2mm closed cell adhesive foam in a 20mm strip all the way along the edges. This should compress nicely. Alternatively you could use windscreen adhesive, this doesn’t set solid like silicon.

I think i need something thicker than 2mm. The contour of the boot lid / spoiler is slightly different, so the added space provides some room so the spoiler does not try to distort the boot lid which is quite flimsy.

Like the idea of windscreen adhesive. Any idea what type? Ideally this would be in black.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I think i need something thicker than 2mm. The contour of the boot lid / spoiler is slightly different, so the added space provides some room so the spoiler does not try to distort the boot lid which is quite flimsy.

Like the idea of windscreen adhesive. Any idea what type? Ideally this would be in black.
I think if u have a gap to fill go up to 5mm (or whatever) foam it will take the gap in nicely. I use Indasa screen sealant, but I think this was just what that had at the motor factor.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I don't like the idea of sealer. I'd rather mount the spoiler on rubber washers and let water flow underneath.

Your choice.