Tidy LHD 280ZX Targa at auction

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
THE MECHANICS

"The three-speed auto gearbox is tight, with no slippage."

Looks manual to my eyes....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Cigarette smell, lower wing edges a bit crusty near where the jacking points are each side and damp in the foot-well....

A car to live with and finish imho. Are we going to guess how much it reaches ?:D

I say £7k max.

Huw

Club Member
Like I said nothing to really be concerned over. I’d hope it would make a bit more, but the market is the market and will dictate the price.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Like I said nothing to really be concerned over. I’d hope it would make a bit more, but the market is the market and will dictate the price.

If the current trend continues, someone'll buy it cheap then advertise to flip it, appealing to a wider, European clientele....

£13.5k all day if the steering position was correct.

Which it isn't so not relative - how much chaps, c'mon - stab in the dark guess ?

Reactions: Huw

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
THE MECHANICS

"The three-speed auto gearbox is tight, with no slippage."

Looks manual to my eyes....

So are they just making up comments to please an audience. Bit naughty that. Who believes auction 'spin' anyway.

£8,250.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mentioned earlier here :

"This 1981 LHD example is believed to have originated from the US, as the chassis number correlates with Federal spec models. Specified as the grand luxury model, part of the standard equipment included a 3-speed auto, power steering, manual climate control, central warning system and a whole host of goodies not seen on many of its competitors at its original price point, making it the highest spec Datsun 280 ZX sold."

1) It's a 1980 car (see the VIN plate) but excused as the US market sells cars with the following year' date.
2) 3-speed auto
3) does the manual climate control (read aircon) still work ? It doesn't quote that it works !
4) highest spec Datsun to date (in 1980) - not THE highest spec Datsun ever.....I don't think....somebody ?

Nice touch :

"Presented with a full set of Datsun branded seat doilies, they fit in well with the ornate ambience of the red interior."

Very tasteful.....

Huw

Club Member
Well for the year it is quite highly spec’d but not the highest. (door repeater lights, electric mirrors, cruise control, central locking plus many more bits and stuff was available). But you could mix up the spec a bit at the dealership in the US market anyway for extra cost.

It is still nicely appointed tho so I hope it makes good money. There are a few niggles but nothing drastic ( obviously a physical inspection would be needed to qualify that statement) :) Not a big fan of the red trim myself but it’s aged well.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not a big fan of the red trim myself but it’s aged well.

I love it - so kitsch and OTT - it's classy - there's no prentending with red velour - it's in yer face :) !

So, crawl out to the thin branch, take a risk and give us a price mate !:)

Huw

Club Member
Well I’m no expert on prices as I don’t pay that much attention to them as I’m not in the market for another one. So £8,500 as it’s left hand drive??

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So, I started the bidding and WHAM - 'Adzell' bids it up to £4k - I wonder if that's him in the cars' reflection (photos 63, 67 and 172 ?

Bidding history
2 bids
  • Adzell£4,000 14/07/21
  • sean-de••••
Talking of photo 63, what's happening on the lower, rear wing almost behind the bumper return -also seen on photo 64?