Throttle Cable Conversion

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I converted my 240Z to throttle cable today. I was fed up trying to modulate the throttle in slow moving traffic and making jerky progress. There were just too many linkages and joints in the original mechanism to make smooth operation.:(

My conversion replaces the complete mechanism from pedal to the rod between the carbs with a single cable. The result is sweet.:D The pedal feels smooth right from idle but maybe a little on/off at higher speeds. I'll know better in a couple of days when I get used to the new set up. Well worth doing though.:thumbs:

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I removed the pedal, throttle cable, bulkhead plate and throttle wheel from a 200SX. With just a little modification it all fitted very nicely and looks original. It only took about 2hrs. I did have to cut off the original ball end of the 240Z accelerator pedal and weld on the fork type end of the 200SX pedal and I had to weld the throttle wheel (if thats what its called) of the 200SX on to the rod that runs between the carbs. Those were the only 2 bits of welding that had to be done. I'm really pleased with the results.:D

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Firstly I had to replace the original ball at the end of the 240Z pedal with the fork from the 200SX to accept the end of the 200SX cable
P1020448.JPG

Then I drilled a couple of holes in the bulk head to fix the plate holding the cable.
P1020450.JPG

Next I drilled a hole and cut a slot in the original plate, that the dash pot was previously mounted to, to accept the other end of the cable
P1020454.JPG

A hole was drilled and a slot cut in the 200SX "throttle wheel" so that it would slip over the existing rod between the carbs. Rotating the wheel so that after connecting the cable there would be no slack, I then removed the rod and welded on the wheel. its important to get the rotation of the wheel correct since after welding it on and connecting the cable there is limited adjustment.

P1020453.JPG

The cable is exactly the correct length for this application and looks neat when finished. Now that it is fitted and workingwell I just have to tidy up and treat the welds etc.

P1020455.JPG

JakTheRuby

Club Member
That's a great job there mate. Doesn't look out of place, nice tidy job. Let us know how you get on once you've had more of a chance to test it.