Throttle bodies vs carbs

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Grolls, if he paid £600 for new carbs, he got a bargain or was that without the manifold ? QUOTE]

I thought he typed it in wrong,but thats what he quoted. £800 wont get you the carbs. £900 is the cheapest I have seen,but then there is a manifold needed, nissmo= 450 cannon=400 cheapie= 250....Talking of manifolds, have you got your one sorted?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Russ - it's not prcie it's choice but I think one needs a lot more than just throttle bodies for them to work :)

Grolls, some basket called Simon260 registered in the UK bought 'em !

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Russ - it's not prcie it's choice but I think one needs a lot more than just throttle bodies for them to work :)

Grolls, some basket called Simon260 registered in the UK bought 'em !

shame really Sean, you will have to keep lug holes to ground.

As for throttle bodies, 3-8 k depending on what level of performance you wish for. Gimmee carbs any day:D

Russ

Club Member
Who'd drive a 6 cylinder car... half as much expense again on top of an old four banger :)

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
As for throttle bodies, 3-8 k depending on what level of performance you wish for. Gimmee carbs any day:D
Dont knock it Stegasaurous, just cos you'd get
owned.gif

if you ever ventured in any remotely competative situation.:D

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SKiddell said:
Dont knock it Stegasaurous, just cos you'd get
owned.gif

if you ever ventured in any remotely competative situation.:D

performance wise yes better, much better in fact, including MPG.

But looks pants and no sound, it would be like having a 7 litre v8 with 20 silencers in line so ya cant hear it.:p :D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
But looks pants and no sound
Rhubarb !!!

They sound exactly like triples, (hey I’ve had both), because in essence, that’s what they are, only without the tricky jets, pumps, emulsion tubes and chokes that cause all of the grief, instead they have 6 injectors to get perfect atomisation of the fuel driven by a computer fuelling and ignition map -- they also have 6 inlet trumpets just like triples, the sound you hear is induction roar, generated by these inlet trumpets --- if anything, its the choice of filter arrangement that dulls the roar, if I run without the filter box (not a wise thing to do) it sounds indistinguishable from any other triple (yawn) equipped inline 6, in fact louder, as a more powerful set-up draws more air therefore the induction roar is greater.

Most triple installations use "hot air" filtering, e.g. K&N, ITG etc, they sound good but draw in hot air (generated by the exhaust manifold), into the carbs thus reducing performance dramatically, I use a cold air induction box so that my inlet charge is a cool (and as dense) as possible, this results in a "dulling" of the aforementioned roar, small price to pay methinks.

As for looks
Look
2 pairs of Throttle bodies
TBonMV03_m.jpg

2 pairs of DCOE webers
webers.jpg

They are 118mm front to back (same as triples), bolt up to a standard triple manifold, just like triples, have butterflies just like triples. use a cable or rod linkage just like triples.

Sounds like the only reason you have triples is because you think they look and sound good, nothing to do with end performance !!!!!

In the end what would you rather have, a 13 second quarter or minor aesthetic differences.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Just why I've bought my Fairladys - although I'm sure a 6 cyl. will fit in nicely ! How about the std four pot with throttle bodies ?

Grolls, I had a nice set for sale on ebay last week - didn't sell though :) !
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8026743860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEUS:IT&rd=1

I went for triples because my budget and know-how (and admittedly, my initial imagination) didn't extend to throttle bodies !
I wonder what your MPG is compared to triples ?

I could be very tempted to go TBs on another car though !
What is important to you Steve, is to gain and hold the fastest atmo record (and because I've met and discussed with you, the intellectual challenge of developing your car) !

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SKiddell said:
Sounds like the only reason you have triples is because you think they look and sound good, nothing to do with end performance !!!!!
I have them because they give an improvement over twin carbs if set right and they look great, not to mention the induction roar,albeit hot. As for end performance, yes it will be better but then if I wished for the ultimate in a six pot then I would have put my money where my mouth is and bought a cross flow. Sean, yours were solex I believe, hence the non sale.:(

Tripple carbs v's Throttle boddies ...looks wise no contest in my vie
w

Attachments

• nearly done (Small).JPG
    nearly done (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 162

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Grolls, the triples certainly vibrate or were you jusdt too excited ?

"I would have put my money where my mouth is and bought a cross flow" oh no you wouldn't ! That was your budget for the whole car !

What's wrong with Solexs then ? I don't like Webers - is it just a name/reputation thing ? Bloody Datsuns were sold by Nissan with Solexs' !

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Grolls

Your hardly comparing like for like are you:(
Bolt a few shiney bits on a mini engine and it looks good, Halfords have made a killing selling bits to the clio crew.

If you want to compare apples with apples then use a picture of "standard" triples and standard TB's ---- err bit like I did really:rolleyes: .

Anyway whats that propeller doing on the front of your engine, and 3 of your wifes collanders doing over your carbs, they are clearly for show, as you could hardly fit ram pipes and filter material under there.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Grolls, the triples certainly vibrate or were you jusdt too excited ?

"I would have put my money where my mouth is and bought a cross flow" oh no you wouldn't ! That was your budget for the whole car !

What's wrong with Solexs then ? I don't like Webers - is it just a name/reputation thing ? Bloody Datsuns were sold by Nissan with Solexs' !

Was the shakes Sean, Been Datsun less for too long....lol

If performance was the ultimate goal then Yes I would've gone TB's or indeed cross flow as i'm, sure the Tb's + head+ piston work etc, etc would not be that far away from cross flow. ( bearing in mind Skiddell told me the cost some time ago:eek: ) What are we talking for a cross flow ready to go £20k ? Looking at the re-sale issue, I would imagine that not many people would be interested at a car that has been that heavily modded due to the unknown factors as a cross flow will hold its value in years to come.:p

anyway sorry to change from a cheap 240 thread!:D

Solex.mmmmmmm so why are you not fitting them Sean?

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SKiddell said:
Grolls

Your hardly comparing like for like are you:(
Bolt a few shiney bits on a mini engine and it looks good, Halfords have made a killing selling bits to the clio crew.

If you want to compare apples with apples then use a picture of "standard" triples and standard TB's ---- err bit like I did really:rolleyes: .

Anyway whats that propeller doing on the front of your engine, and 3 of your wifes collanders doing over your carbs, they are clearly for show, as you could hardly fit ram pipes and filter material under there.

1, I like to cheat:p
2, I like the upper hand:p
3, i like whoosh sound
4, Cannon....so less need :p

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Cannon....so less need :p
?????? explain as I am curious

I would imagine that not many people would be interested at a car that has been that heavily modded
you see thats probably where we differ, I am not interested in investment, if I were, then I would have bought a 2+2:rolleyes:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SKiddell said:
?????? explain as I am curious

you see thats probably where we differ, I am not interested in investment, if I were, then I would have bought a 2+2:rolleyes:

The calculations on inlet tract and length I dont have, but i'm sure you do :D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
IMHO the length of the inlet manifold tract doesnt totaly eliminate the need for velocity stacks, it will have a bearing on your power profile but the velocity stack is designed for a specific purpose -- to condition and modify the air flow PRIOR to the fuel being introduced, the inlet manifold is after the fuel has been introduced, webers etc are designed specificaly to use them, if you run without stacks then yes they will run but you will not be getting anywhere near the best out of your engine, and stacks or no stacks, you still must have filter material in front of them as dust/small animals and children will get sucked in and wear your bores like crazy.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
I thank you for that but as my car/engine has as yet not been to the best in the country to set up the carbs I cant tell you what is best for my engine/set up...but time will tell.:D

Maybe when its done we should add extra weight to your car so we carry the exact weight and do a few runs at the Pod for a comparisson, ie carbs v's injection.Then swap drivers.....you should win by a country mile but it would be interesting.:D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
but as my car/engine has as yet not been to the best in the country to set up the carbs
Hmmm I will bet we are thinking of totally differant places.

Once again I reiterate
webers etc are designed specificaly to use them
If they dont ask "where are the ram pipes", then I would revise your previous statement downwards.

Unfortunately I fear that comparing the cars (ballast or not) will be difficult as they are like chalk and cheese but I will say that you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin.