The Project Dixie thread! | Page 5 | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

The Project Dixie thread!

Discussion in 'Rebuilds and restorations' started by richiep, Sep 17, 2019.

  1. richiep

    richiep
    Z Club Member

    That could’ve been an option Rob. In fact, that’s what Dave Porter did in his car. The difference being that he retained the left hand drive wiper setup, whereas I am installing a right hand drive system. The intake needs removing to do that anyway, so I wanted something broadly in line with the factory arrangement.
     
    SacCyclone likes this.
  2. richiep

    richiep
    Z Club Member

    Test fit. Vent welded in.
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect as the damn thing moved while tacking, but I can adjust the position of the motor to just about compensate. I’m going to JB Weld and seam seal around where the vent comes through to ensure water tightness. I still need to make and weld on a bracket to hold the top front of the motor housing up in the right place.

    Once all that is done to my liking, I’ll 2k epoxy prime the bulkhead in and out on that side, plus in the scuttle, when weld on that rain shield replica I made last year to complete the job.

    I then have a couple of unused holes to weld up and a few other odds and sods before I fully prime the left inner wing. I will then be refitting the left wing and doing some work on that with dings etc., before setting about both the front and (gulp) rear arch cutting on that side of the car.

    I’m still not decided how to tackle the RH tweaked chassis rail, but present world circumstances mean it won’t be going anywhere for professional attention for some time. Nor will I be going out hunting down used body dozers to do a DIY pull. The longer the isolation strategy continues, the more likely I’ll order a replacement rail and just cut the fecker off and start again. It’s irritating as it roadblocks me getting started on the repair to the former battery area and the proper RHD conversion stuff.
     
    MaximG and Rushingphil like this.
  3. richiep

    richiep
    Z Club Member

    Trying to do a little every night, so yesterday yielding this - a bracket to fasten the top of the blower to the scuttle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tonight, welded it on. Needs a little tidy up where I added a few tacks on the edges, but does the job.
    [​IMG]
    Also cut these little bitches off - the brackets for the pedalbox. Total sods!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will be usable for the RH side though.
     

Share This Page