The perfect house for us?

uk66fastback

Club Member
I wonder why she's not keen Rob?! :EXTRAconfused::rofl:

Gotta be some nice places about with not too big a plot but a nice DG (or space to build one). We had some friends round pre-lockdown and they have a friend who is doing a garage conversion - not another bloke converting a garage into a downstairs bedroom/granny annexe/roomfullacrap I said - no, they replied. He's changing the conversion that was done about five years ago BACK INTO A GARAGE (they've just moved in) ...

Superb.

Ian

Club Member
Yeah, I could definitely turn that into my dream workshop garage. Enough room for a bike section, a car section, a garage workshop and a woodwork/metalwork section.

The house is just to sleep and eat in, so thats plenty good enough for that,

AD240Z

Club Member
I’d still manage to completely fill it with tools, cars , bikes, spares and associated sh!t ( eventually )

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeah, I could definitely turn that into my dream workshop garage. Enough room for a bike section, a car section, a garage workshop and a woodwork/metalwork section.

The house is just to sleep and eat in, so thats plenty good enough for that,

I'll pass those thoughts on Ian. :cuss:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The house is just to sleep and eat in ....,

So no washing going on in the Ian household then!? ;)

Rob that looks great! Love the kitchen! At last you can have your Zs somewhere dry and have space for a workshop / lift etc! Do it!

richiep

Club Member
That is awesome! Still manages to have four bedrooms on top of all that! Perfect if one had aspirations for a car collection or business. Does need some more modernisation and tidy up though, which would be a lot of work. Conceptually though - great!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ali, that isn't going to happen. :boxing:

Anyway I've been considering moving for about a year now after my wife suggested it. However I'm happy here but would move if somewhere to our joint liking became available.

I'm amazed how poorly and dishonestly houses are advertised. In many cases major issues are omitted to make a house look more attractive to a buyer and to get you to view (we haven't viewed yet and wouldn't do unless we were serious).

The internet is your friend here - you could waste so much time driving to a place that was totally unsuitable. However even with Google Maps and Street View it can take ages to find the actual house which in many cases is nowhere near the 'spot' marked on the map. I enjoy the challenge of finding some houses - yes I have the time and it's a challenge. I can only assume that a point is marked on the map that relates to a post-code and that the estate agent hasn't actually corrected this important inaccuracy.

The lenses on the agents cameras are also really distorting and make drives, garages, kitchens etc look twice as big as they actually are. Again a check on internet helps here.

If you were to sell a car with a large dent on one side and not mention it or show a photo it would contravene advertising rules I'm sure. I've seen houses next to filling stations, in (or surrounded by) pub car-parks, 100yds from quarries etc etc Not a mention! Amazing.

Another thing is that very little importance is given to showing and describing a garage. Often there isn't even a picture of the outside, never mind dimensions. But the other pictures will show a close up of a 'bird bath' or outside light!

Dale

Club Member
I agree entirely Rob, and you can’t use their search option to input ‘double garage’ as it brings up everything with ‘double’ glazing and a ‘garage’ of any description.

tyroguru

Club Member
The garage space is a dream!

I think the biggest problem I can see with that place is that it is near the centre of Matlock. That would mean that for at least 6 months of the year under normal societal conditions you would be completely gridlocked!

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Another thing is that very little importance is given to showing and describing a garage. Often there isn't even a picture of the outside, never mind dimensions. But the other pictures will show a close up of a 'bird bath' or outside light!

This annoys me so much, I saw one listing that said double garage (no picture of course) but then when you looked at the floorplan, 1/3rd of it had been segregated off to make a 'utility room'.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I really do think there are huge improvements that could be made with Estate Agents.

I have to be careful to not make the garage the overriding priority and buy (my wife helps me in that respect). How long will I be working on cars for - I could be stuck in an inappropriate house when I'm riding around on a mobility scooter!

Being serious if I found a great house I'd forgo Datsuns and get a nice modern second car (like my old 370Z or Ferrari) ) for my petrolhead addiction. But that's a big move - I've been working on cars and 'bikes since I was 16.

toopy

Club Member
The lenses on the agents cameras are also really distorting and make drives, garages, kitchens etc look twice as big as they actually are. Again a check on internet helps here.

They all use wide angle lenses, they say it's to get more of the room in one picture, i just see it as false advertising, all estate agents should be forced to use a standard 35 or 50mm lens for any and all pictures IMO