The most complete and original 280Z.....

uk66fastback

Club Member
Ad says: The seats, carpeting and all of the interior are original and in an amazing state of preservation. New parts replaced recently by the last owner included: Fuel Injector harness, Radiator, Water pump, Thermostat, Alternator, Brake master cylinder, Brake booster, Front brake discs and pads, Fuel filter, Head gasket, Spark plugs and leads, Clutch master cylinder, Battery, 4 New Michelin tyres, 4 New chrome rims, New original style seat covers and new seat foam, exhaust, all 4 shocks replaced with KYB shocks, all suspension bushings replaced, new brighter headlights, wood gear knob, gear lever bushings and high quality tinted windows.

Maybe the seat frames are original - I'm sure they are!

Mark N

Club Member
A glass out re-spray but it looks like they decided to paint over the chrome side trim.
I wouldn't fancy being in a crash with the fire extinguisher mounted like that!

Attachments

• 43377432464_d00581d800_z.jpg
    43377432464_d00581d800_z.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 43189250875_5f02efd1b9_z.jpg
    43189250875_5f02efd1b9_z.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 37

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It looks like a reasonable car to be fair.

However why even have that extinguisher on the pictures?

johnymd

Club Member
Nice looking car but if we are being really critical:
Poor fitting exhaust
Bumpers are not standard or original to this car and poorly fitted
Rear panel was originally grey
Wipers don't appear original
Head would not have been originally painted yellow
Front screen rubber would originally have been fitted with stainless steel trim
Not original paint or interior

I'm not saying the above are all bad, just that if you are claiming originality then the car needs to be original.

atomman

Club Member
Have we really got to a point where a 280z is worth nearly 24k ?

I watch prices like most of us , but recently all of a sudden 280z's have all gone up , maybe its a knock on effect from some putting their's up and everyone then just following suit ?

I have seen the same in the Porsche world and the VW world over the years , early desirable models go up so everyone thinks even the late models are gonna follow the trend ,

johnymd

Club Member
I think the 280z has gone up but maybe not to this level. I also believe they are a viable alternative to a 240z. My red car gets just as much attention as my 240’s.

atomman

Club Member
The general public probably couldn't tell the difference from a 280z to a 240z , if you change the bumpers ,

what is this gonna do for prices though ? push up early cars or just even out the difference between them all ?

The general public probably couldn't tell the difference from a 280z to a 240z , if you change the bumpers ,

what is this gonna do for prices though ? push up early cars or just even out the difference between them all ?

People will like the shape, they'll never be worth the same though. A completely different proposition from an ownership perspective.

johnymd

Club Member
I think the 280z will just get closer to the 260 value. The main reason why people are looking at the 280z is because its substantially cheaper than a 240z. I value my 280z at high teens. If it was a 240 then maybe mid to high 20's. At the lower end the 280z is probably only worth half which puts my new 280z at being worth around 5k as opposed to a similar 240 at 10k.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The dealer's advertised price is £24k and that car has been on the market for a couple of months now. I doubt there has been much interest, if any at all.

Advertised price is just that and the seller can ask what he likes, it does not mean the market believes the car is worth the same figure. In recent weeks this car and Don Muscles car are classic examples to prove the point.

As far as I know the dealer has never had another S30Z of any kind and more than likely knows little about the cars or the market. The best one he has seen blah blah....... means little when he has only seen the one. Also needs to brush up on his grammar and look up the meaning of the word 'original' in the dictionary.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The dealer's advertised price is £24k and that car has been on the market for a couple of months now. I doubt there has been much interest, if any at all.

Advertised price is just that and the seller can ask what he likes, it does not mean the market believes the car is worth the same figure. In recent weeks this car and Don Muscles car are classic examples to prove the point.

As far as I know the dealer has never had another S30Z of any kind and more than likely knows little about the cars or the market. The best one he has seen blah blah....... means little when he has only seen the one. Also needs to brush up on his grammar and look up the meaning of the word 'original' in the dictionary.

Bit harsh Chris.

He has had an S30 before and a GTO Replica - see 'Archived' showroom. I also think he was selling a red 'marathon' rally' car recently.

As always it will find it's value.

WazzaJB

Club Member
If this sells at 24k I'm going to regret taking the massive bumpers off mine EXTRA:D

The main reason why people are looking at the 280z is because its substantially cheaper than a 240z

I feel this way, you get more car for your money & you can easily make it look like a 240 (but will never be worth the same of course). I absolutely love my 280z but I'm not particularly precious about keeping at original (probably much to the dismay of the rest of the club), if I had a 240 I'd feel differently.

All very true.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
If this sells at 24k I'm going to regret taking the massive bumpers off mine EXTRA:D

Ah well Warren, console yourself with the fact you paid over £10k less for a genuinely 'original' example ;)

I feel this way, you get more car for your money & you can easily make it look like a 240 (but will never be worth the same of course). I absolutely love my 280z but I'm not particularly precious about keeping at original (probably much to the dismay of the rest of the club), if I had a 240 I'd feel differently.

280Z/HLS30 will never be worth as much as a 240Z/HLS30 in 'like for like' condition so get customising without any guilt EXTRA:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
All very true.

No it isn't. The seller has had two S30s and a GTO rep. and I got that from his website pics and links from this advert.

It shows the car before painting and removal of bumpers which I think is honest too.

Not an accurate advert I agree.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Good question and I think that this is where ignorance plays its' part. Yes, from the outside and a few feet away a 280Z can be made to look like a 240Z and some won't care - price determines, L28 too, maybe a 5 or 4spd whatever so long as it's manual...and they'll buy it just as a 1972 911 'looks like' a 1978 911 !

Those in the know and who do a bit of homework will know the difference and pay accordingly but I believe people mostly want a car they can drive now (if it's to keep) and running 240Zs are big, um heaps of money.

I reckon that high-priced 280Zs ought to even out the differences merely due to the general ignorance BUT ultimately, 240Z prices will remain at least double if not more for similar conditioned cars.

260Zs are too rare to have any effect either way and are not being knocked here by not mentionning them - be happy that you have one of the rarest.