Temp sender or guage?

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Next problem!

The car started and bumbled along nicely today for about 15 mins.

All the gauges we're working. (Bonus) Apart from the temperature sender.

firstly did the engine even get hot enough to register, ticking over for 15 mins?
If so how do I test the sender unit?
The gauge wasn't registering anything at all so I'm not sure which end is the problem.

Cheers,

Wes

Mr.F

Inactive
With ignition on, short the sender lead to the block. If gauge rises to max, then problem is with the sender; if no response check the gauge. Any other instruments not responding? Might be a power supply issue...

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I had the same problem, it turned out to be the female bullet connector that plugs onto the sender. It was corroded like hell inside, and the wire it was crimped to was also in bad shape. After cutting the wire back and soldering a new connector on, the temp gauge now does something, though it stays near the very lowest end of the gauge even after running the engine for 20 mins. I'm pretty sure that's not right :confused: Maybe my whole wire is borked and has too much resistance...

Anyway, that's something else to look at if you still don't get a reading by shorting the wire to the block.

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
my car has sat for 14 years.all these little bits n pices im just buying brand new,saves a lot of head scratching im hopeing

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I've shorted it and the gauge went up nicely.

I may have not had it plugged in correctly, or the car might not have been hot enough or the sensor could be up the spout.

Either way, it's easier to fix at that end!

Thanks again for the help.

Wes