Tatton letdown!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
So the big classic car show at Tatton in Cheshire on Sunday and despite Richie's best efforts, there has been so little support from members that the club won't even have a stand.
We have been relegated to the general area where on Saturday just ONE car will be there (Richie's) and on the Sunday just ONE car will be there (mine).
Pathetic really for a club of this size with so many members (quite a few in the North West).
Let's try and get this right next year or maybe I will just turn up in my Rover!

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
i had my name down to go but due to addmin error on there part no ticket also hve been going for many years some people have got tickets and pulled out

richiep

Club Member
It's pretty much a case of giving this one up as a bad job tbh. I can't be arsed. My attention has shifted to Oulton Park over the bank holiday weekend, which will be better attended and at least have some racing action.

We've had spotty Tatton attendance for some years now, which is a sign of the times as Sean says. The club has been doing that show (one of the biggest in the NW) for many years, and used to have absolutely rammed stands. Now, I chase around like a nagging dog trying to drum up enough participants to justify us having even a small stand plot. June was embarrassing - an oversubscribed show, bursting at the seams, and our stand on the Sunday had two cars on a ten car plot. It was noticed by the organisers and we paid the price.

There's various factors at work. Several local members who used to be mainstays of the event have cars off the road pretty much long-term. Others have just dropped off the face of the Earth. The August show clashes with some people's holidays. Other people have been to the show so many times over the years they are now just bored with it. Few will commit to more than one day of a weekend show, making it challenging to have a well stocked stand for two days. And then there is the apathy point, which I think effects club participation and event organisation nationally. There are not enough events where the club is represented full stop. Although, I can understand why - people aren't stepping into the breach to organise event attendance precisely because of the widespread apathy and challenge of getting people motivated and handling the bureaucracy of it. Sad.

As I joked to Riddler, maybe I should flog the Z and get the 70s/80s/backdated aircooled 911 I've been pining for. At least they have a couple of large, active clubs! :devil: :(

johnymd

Club Member
Even the forum is pretty quite nowadays. I find myself heading to the 911 sites after a few minutes. I still continue to go to shows and trackdays but don't try to force others to attend. Silverstone classic was good. didn't take the zed as I didn't want to put it in public parking. From what I here there was only 1500 Porsche 911's there over the weekend!!!

With 2 911's getting the backdate treatment I am heading in that direction but still cant help myself with zeds and bought another 2 yesterday plus my yellow one arrives on Saturday so I'm not exactly giving up on them.

richiep

Club Member
The forum is dying on its **** at the moment. The depth of discussion is also barely surface deep. No contest when you compare it to something like HybridZ or even, looking at another smaller Z community, AusZCar. I'm talking in terms of regular discussion of projects, tuning, ideas, etc. Not threads about what frigging wipers to fit, etc.

(although being fair, one could suggest a lot of people will be on hols at the mo. Still...)

Johny - saw a badass 911 at a local classic/sports pub meet on Tues night. Not sure if original, backdated, modded (probably the latter two), but it was a 2.8 RSR look (badged as an RSR too). Orange, caged, sliding plexiglass window, carbon bonnet, etc. Number plate was RSR 911H. Channelling a bit of the outlaw/Magnus Walker vibe. Want. Seriously. Want.

Where did you pick yours up from? CA?

And what are the new Zs? You didn't grab that one with the red wheels from California Datsun on eBay did you? The auction was pulled early yesterday...

Gaz 300

Well-Known Forum User
The number of owners and cars are getting less and less plus the older we get the less get up and go we have. Shows on the 300zx scene are still good but the numbers have gone down and will continue to fall but this the natural way for car clubs with classic cars.
In my opinion you need that something special in a car show to make members want to go there plus joint meets with other Z clubs to get good numbers. I meet up with the 350z guys for shows in N.I. as there is only a few 300zx owners in the province. Then you have a mass amount of shows to choose from in the Summer months and you cant attend them all.
I can see the attraction of clubs like the 911 Porsche with strong membership with all the 911's from day one till today compared to the Z clubs with different models and clubs for each main variant.

Our clubs might be getting smaller but the quality of the cars has gone up and may I say the owners have matured also (which is a good thing) Joint meets and a show with that something special is the way to go.

Chas

Z Club Member
I used to organise the Wimpole Hall, Kimbolton car shows. When I first started in the late nineties, I would have between 25 - 30 cars show, By the time I finished attending the show the the only two cars their were mine, and had been for the last 3 years before. The funny thing is I would see Z's in the general car park.

johnymd

Club Member
Couldn't resist the look of it Richie. I've been looking for the last couple of months with no real intention of actually buying anything. The prices have really gone up with most people asking pretty much the same as the cars would sell for over here. Occasionally something will pop up for a reasonable price. With all the LHD cars now gone and especially the green one, I needed to look for something to replace it and the silver car fits the bill perfectly. Just before the seller got back to me I started bidding on another car and won the auction so without trying I find myself with an excess again. May find myself selling the series 1 yellow car that I picked up from the docks next week.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Unfortunately a bit to far North for me.... :(

I've only just made it onto the scene (still not got my car yet either) and I imagine will be one of the younger owners at the ripe old age of 22, however I'm keen to get to shows and meets to met the individuals behind some of the awesome cars I've seen. on here.

Given that the membership no. I recently received was 1093, without wishing to cause offense there can't have ever been a relatively massive crowd from day one. When you compare that to the amount of Z's registered in the UK last year we appear to be in a minority, Datsun never commanded the same market over here such as the likes of Porsche etc.You also need to take into consideration how social media has evolved the scene,I'm heavily involved with the MR2OC and we have noticed a big dip in visitors due to alot of members being stolen away to the likes of Facebook that is widely regarded as being floored for a community resource.

When you look at the above factors it makes sense for your statement. That being said I'm extremely keen to get involved with as many events as possible once I've got my car on the road (Should be mid September). Wrong time of year for shows, however I'll be looking for any meets within a couple of hundred miles max. I regularly travel that sort of distance in the MR2 for shows. I've got plans to go to the Le Mans classic etc as well though. I hope the community isn't diminishing as I find these places a fundamental source of information.

If your looking for silly stupid questions to be asked more regularly, then don't worry I'm sure I'll be able to help with that bit in due course :D

richiep

Club Member
There's no doubt, the UK scene is very small. However, it has got smaller in terms of participation during the 13 years I've been part of it. Obviously, S30 numbers dwindled for a period, although they are rising now due to imports.

I think the point about social media rings very true. As does the internet in general - people are less likely to go to meets to talk to other owners or find out info about cars, problems, etc. We are all inclined to sit at home behind a keyboard more.

Johny - that sliver/red one was on my watchlist. That's the kind of thing that still gets my attention (despite a self-imposed moratorium on the next project until 2017/the shed gets built/the pound rebounds a bit). Looks like an ideal blank slate.

What was the other one?

johnymd

Club Member
The way I see it, the dollar rate makes no difference. Just look at the total cost in UK pounds and if that sounds like a good deal then buy it. Some people look at how much they could have got it before brexit but the chances are it will now sell for less than it would of without brexit.

The other one is a 280z. Tatty but looks straight. Needs a little work to get it back on the road again but I'll get it road legal and drive it for a bit. If I don't like it then I'll just move it on for half the value of the 240's I had and still not lose money.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
In one way I am quite looking forward to being on a general stand rather than a club one. The S30 is a special car that is rarely seen by the public on the roads (unless they live near me!). Put it on a stand in amongst the inevitable Morris Minors, Minis, MGBs etc (no disrespect to them) and it really stands out from the crowd.
Sometimes when you are on a club stand with six other Zs it can diminish the impact a bit.
Previously I have owned a Capri 280 which always drew admiring looks at Tatton. One year they did a special event to mark the 20th anniversary of the 280 and the Capri Club tried to get as many 280s there as possible. In the end over forty 280s turned up - all resplendent in their Brooklands green. Trouble is, when you see 40 of them all together suddenly they don't seem that special!

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Problem is a large part of the younger public who attend Tatton Park don't know or appreciate style, class and good taste when they see it ;)

Back in June at the Tatton Show when there were just three cars on the Z stand, mine, Rich's and Dave Holland's a great big f***k off Hummer parked right next to us blocking out the sun. Although it was supposed to be a classic car show Hummer :devil: got more attention than any classics :(

Sad indictment, shouldn't even have been there at a classic show. Our Z's just got in the way of the plebs trying to take selfies with the Hummer :rolleyes:

So I for one won't miss it and looking forward much more to Oulton Park Gold Cup weekend after which will have the added attraction of classic racing !

datsun dave

Club Member
Johny - saw a badass 911 at a local classic/sports pub meet on Tues night. Not sure if original, backdated, modded (probably the latter two), but it was a 2.8 RSR look (badged as an RSR too). Orange, caged, sliding plexiglass window, carbon bonnet, etc. Number plate was RSR 911H. Channelling a bit of the outlaw/Magnus Walker vibe. Want. Seriously. Want.

Love the Magnus Walker cars and his house/garage.

richiep

Club Member
Problem is a large part of the younger public who attend Tatton Park don't know or appreciate style, class and good taste when they see it ;)

Back in June at the Tatton Show when there were just three cars on the Z stand, mine, Rich's and Dave Holland's a great big f***k off Hummer parked right next to us blocking out the sun. Although it was supposed to be a classic car show Hummer :devil: got more attention than any classics :(

Sad indictment, shouldn't even have been there at a classic show. Our Z's just got in the way of the plebs trying to take selfies with the Hummer :rolleyes:

So I for one won't miss it and looking forward much more to Oulton Park Gold Cup weekend after which will have the added attraction of classic racing !

Very true. That Hummer was a fecking eyesore. And the owner looked utterly disproportional (skinny legs, steroidal top half!). Oulton will be better demographically!

Fair point about the exchange rate Johny. The economics of a car for personal consumption are different from a situation where one is trying to make money I suppose. I'd decided to postpone project plans before the referendum for practical reasons anyway, although the right car/opportunity could result a revision of that plan.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Summing up the previous posts with the key phrases :

The August show clashes with some people's holidays. Other people have been to the show so many times over the years they are now just bored with it. Few will commit to more than one day of a weekend show,

Even the forum is pretty quite nowadays. The forum is dying on its **** at the moment.

The number of owners and cars are getting less and less plus the older we get the less get up and go we have

Obviously, S30 numbers dwindled for a period, although they are rising now due to imports.

I think the point about social media rings very true. As does the internet in general - people are less likely to go to meets to talk to other owners or find out info about cars, problems, etc. We are all inclined to sit at home behind a keyboard more

The S30 is a special car that is rarely seen by the public on the roads . Put it on a stand in amongst the inevitable Morris Minors, Minis, MGBs etc and it really stands out from the crowd.

Problem is a large part of the younger public who attend Tatton Park don't know or appreciate style, class and good taste when they see it

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Very true. That Hummer was a fecking eyesore. And the owner looked utterly disproportional (skinny legs, steroidal top half!). Oulton will be better demographically!

Fair point about the exchange rate Johny. The economics of a car for personal consumption are different from a situation where one is trying to make money I suppose. I'd decided to postpone project plans before the referendum for practical reasons anyway, although the right car/opportunity could result a revision of that plan.

Them funny looking sterioidal people make you wonder big style don't they !!! I was sitting outside a coffee shop the one day then one of those strange sorts came across the carpark & thankfully I managed to contain my laughter & comments. Just them kid like extremely short legs with that ridiculous huge steroid body on top was just too much. WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT I GUESS :confused:

Farmer42

Club Member
Location and timing have a great deal to play in drumming up attendance at various events.

I don't know how many owners there are north of Birmingham but Cheshire would probably rule out a lot of owners from SE & SW England along with the August holiday period and duration of the show as it did for me.

Not all events are suffering in the same way. Japfest at Silverstone looked like a good turnout as was Jap Day at Castle Combe and Simply Japanese at Beaulieu none of which were slap bang in the middle of the summer holidays.

I agree with Riddler in that a Z at a general classic car show stands out more than a Z on a Club stand amongst others. Although I consider my S30 to be a reasonable motor, it feels like the poor relation against some of the Zeds I have parked next to at shows. I have generally got a lot more attention at other general events away from a Z Club stand. I try to take mine to as many events as possible cos it gives me the opportunity to drive it more and to be proud to own a rare and beautiful car.

I would say that even only having one Zed at any event is a good thing, more is a bonus.

As for the forum, it doesn't help that sometimes, people feel as though they are getting ridculed for comments or slapped down by know-it-alls. It puts people off posting things up for fear of being made to look stupid.

If someone posts up a question or an experience that they want to share, take it for what it is and provide something positive in return not use it as an opportunity to score points by attacking it or making derogatory comments.