Tappety / sticking hydraulic lifter - FIXED :)

Russ

Club Member
Hi all,

Just thought I'd report and help someone in the future maybe.

My car developed a slight tappety noise, which I thought "Oh no, low oil pressure, argh panic". It got a little worse, but nothing to stress about just sounded horrible.

Anyway the car has been without mot/stood up for a couple months now (it got broken into then I decided to do some jobs and then the mot expired, doh!). Anyway started it up, quite tappety, it warmed up, very tappety!

I had a search on the 300 forum and a lot of people were saying about these oil additives curing it. I hate 'snake oils' but for £7 a bottle of

Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment

at Hellfrauds was worth a shot.

I got home, let the car run on the drive for 15 mins to warm up, stopped the car, poured the whole bottle in the oil, let it run for 3 mins again on the drive. Instantly sounded better. Then 20 mins drive and not a single noise even from the offset, car seems lots happier.

Just started it up again this eve (day later) and the problem has not come back (yet). Much as cleaning the hydraulic lifters sounded like fun (see http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=technical&msg_id=917346) hopefully this will put the problem off long enough :) That car has done 60k so I'd hope they're good for a few more miles with decent oil. I'm not sure but I read the 'treatment' needs to be reapplied each oil change, I'll forget that idea. I'll give it an oil change before I do any miles/track days anyway.

Anyway give it a shot before you strip the head, appears to have helped me :)

Attachments

• wynsshla.jpg
    wynsshla.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 17

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Russ, if your bird said you was crap in the the sack would you buy her a vibrator to ease the pressure on you or would you go straight to the cause?.....:rolleyes:

Russ

Club Member
I've got three options...

Put up with the noise - Nope

Strip the head and half the front of the car to change the lifters - Not in a million years will I have time to do that before Zedfest

What I did - Yeah, no annoying noise for a while hopefully and I can sell the car or change them in the future when it's convenient

Scrawni

New Forum User
I've got three options...

Put up with the noise - Nope

Strip the head and half the front of the car to change the lifters - Not in a million years will I have time to do that before Zedfest

What I did - Yeah, no annoying noise for a while hopefully and I can sell the car or change them in the future when it's convenient

Hey Russ, hows my car, you know you should drive her more often or sell her back to and then you wont have noisy tappets.

No seriously I hope she is keeping well.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Russ, I had an Audi 100 (5 cyl) that got slightly 'tappety' after about 7k mls from each oil change. The service interval was 10k but it didn't like that. I used Wynns or STP oil flush each time before the change (at a reduced interval of 8k) and good quality 10/40 oil. It worked every time.

I know people will have their own opinions on these products but it worked for me.

Car had done 260k mls on the original the engine (never dismantled) when I sold it.

Russ

Club Member
Hey Russ, hows my car, you know you should drive her more often or sell her back to and then you wont have noisy tappets.

No seriously I hope she is keeping well.

Hi mate,

oh man it's been up and down, but still happy with her :)

Ok it got broken into, that sucked, all mended now.

Working on it next couple days for MOT then Japfest for two track sessions, have done most of the interior in slate alcantara now which looks nice, the sound system now has some nice components/amp on the way, going in for paint next week with fibreglass spoiler. Fitted all new trim and weatherstrips, sorted the airducts etc.

Looking after her generally :) Still needs wheels though... :)

Scrawni

New Forum User
Hi mate,

oh man it's been up and down, but still happy with her :)

Ok it got broken into, that sucked, all mended now.

Working on it next couple days for MOT then Japfest for two track sessions, have done most of the interior in slate alcantara now which looks nice, the sound system now has some nice components/amp on the way, going in for paint next week with fibreglass spoiler. Fitted all new trim and weatherstrips, sorted the airducts etc.

Looking after her generally :) Still needs wheels though... :)

Good to hear mate, send me some pics when she is all done

bobba13

New Forum User
absolutely amazing

well my 300 developed the severe tapping noise (and i mean loud) and i was just about to hand it over to my mate to strip the head (god knows how mush it would have cost) But another friend agreed with you to try the Wynns hydraulic lifter remedy but flush the engine before hand .........i can tell you my 300 was sounding like a bag of nails especially from the last lifter in the oil line at the back of the engine ...obviously the varnish glase or carbon grime had choked or blocked the ball bearing in the lifter or blocked the oilway into it .........so i was advised to do this simple fix before handing it over for meggar money to even the most frindlyiest mechanic i know ...well i added STP engine flush and left it on idle for an hour ..(sounded so rattly even worse than before i thought what have i done) ....then drained the oil and changed the filter and added new oil and filter .......ran the car for 15 mins (still sounding absolutely terrible and i mean it) then added the Wynns hydraulic lifter fluid and ran for another 1/2 hour ..no change !!!! in fact a lot worse to tell the truth ....ok stopped engine and retired for the night .....6 hours later in the morning started the car and for the first 1 minute sounded like a bag of nails then Amazingly everything just started going quiet and running perfectly and i mean even better than the rattling noise ........i was absolutely Amazed the car is now running Perfect ......thanks for the advice this has saved me hundreds of £'s labour for such a simple remedy .....i have googled so many hydraulic lifter sites now and know how they work and how it must have cleared the blockage in the oilway or ball bearing valve that must have been blocked ....

anyway cheers and keep lovin the 300zx me is in UK with the imported Fairlady
twin turbo ...good luck to all of you out there :driving:safely

remember a 300 is for life not just for christmas