T3 strut brace or alternative

arcdef

Club Member
Hi all,

Looking to ask a massive favour for anyone in the South/midlands!

Have tried a zstory strut brace but it won't clear the intake on my V8. Before I spend money on something that may not fit would anyone with a T3 front struts brace be willing for me to test fit it to my car?

I mainly ask about the T3 option as it seems to be the highest but any others I would also be greatful for the opportunity.

Happy to donate some £ or beers for the opportunity.

The zstory fouls just here:
Screenshot_20210727-092303_Gallery.jpg

Thanks guys

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Have you tried the brackets in both positions as this would move the strut brace a couple of inches front to back.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Here are a couple of alternatives to consider and I'm sure if you send them dimensions they can help you ...

https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p66/Front_Strut_Brace.html

https://www.racetep.com/automaker/datsun-z/z-car-front-ultimate-strut-tower-brace.html

I have a Cusco non-triangulated one (not currently on the car) which you are welcome to try if you are near Surrey. Clearly nowhere near as good as a triangulated one. I had to re-adjust the bonnet bump stops as it was just about touching the inside of the bonnet on the parts that angle down towards the towers - so it may give you the clearance you need.

6090cd8277ca2dc8fb620eb5adbf23d6.jpg

Alternatively if you ask nicely, Mr. @Woody928 he may be able to give you some dimensions off his TTT one.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
How much clearance do you need with the zstory one? you could cut out big C shaped washers to go under the brace on the strut towers to raise it 3 or 4 mm.

arcdef

Club Member
Here are a couple of alternatives to consider and I'm sure if you send them dimensions they can help you ...

https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p66/Front_Strut_Brace.html

https://www.racetep.com/automaker/datsun-z/z-car-front-ultimate-strut-tower-brace.html

I have a Cusco non-triangulated one (not currently on the car) which you are welcome to try if you are near Surrey. Clearly nowhere near as good as a triangulated one. I had to re-adjust the bonnet bump stops as it was just about touching the inside of the bonnet on the parts that angle down towards the towers - so it may give you the clearance you need.

View attachment 46251

Alternatively if you ask nicely, Mr. @Woody928 he may be able to give you some dimensions off his TTT one.

I'm in Hampshire actually so that would be amazing if I could try it out!

arcdef

Club Member
Have you tried the brackets in both positions as this would move the strut brace a couple of inches front to back.

Yeah tried in both orientation but it still won't clear the throttle body.

How much clearance do you need with the zstory one? you could cut out big C shaped washers to go under the brace on the strut towers to raise it 3 or 4 mm.
I did try but needs closer to 5mm then the bracket will hit the bonnet.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
have you measured how much clearance you have from the top of the engine to the bonnet?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I'll be removing my TTT Tri Brace from the car in due course for my engine transplant.

You'd be more than welcome to test fit it onto your car while I've got it off to see if it fits or not. I'm currently situated over in Weybridge if you fancy it, just need to find some space time as life is rather hectic right now!

arcdef

Club Member
I'll be removing my TTT Tri Brace from the car in due course for my engine transplant.

You'd be more than welcome to test fit it onto your car while I've got it off to see if it fits or not. I'm currently situated over in Weybridge if you fancy it, just need to find some space time as life is rather hectic right now!
Awesome thanks, if you can let me know when you have it off and are free that would be amazing!

Has the engine arrived now?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
How about this for a very cool alternative!? And yes it’s a Maserati V8 in there!!!

DBD19FFB-F6AE-447E-95A7-EC24E648199A.jpeg

arcdef

Club Member
That is an option, was hoping to avoid paying to fabricate one if I could.

Looks like an interesting build! Is it documented anywhere?

arcdef

Club Member
Thanks to Ali for meeting me on a Friday evening to try his strut brace and have a good chat.

Whilst it cleared the engine perfectly it did rub on the inside of the bonnet despite our best efforts adjusting the bump stops .

Back to the drawing board, if anyone else has an alternative they are willing for my to test I would be very greatful!!

Thanks,

Ash

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Most welcome chap, shame it didn’t work as we had hoped.

A genuine pleasure to meet you - I just LOVE that car and it’s condition! Such a clean rust free car and the sound of that engine is something else!!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Awesome thanks, if you can let me know when you have it off and are free that would be amazing!

Has the engine arrived now?

Absolutely mate, how much of a rush are you in? It'll definitely be off next month however I could probably sort something sooner if you're keen to get on with. Just let me know...

All in hand ;)