Suspension/Steering Supporting mod options

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi All,

Another question for you, while I continue to debate over my strut options I wanted to pick all of your brains as to what other supporting suspension modifications and improvements can be made to bring things into the 21st century.

I know there is some play in our steering and would like to bring all of the running gear up to date. From my shopping around the web Techno Toy Tunning seem to be the dogs B******* when it comes to suspension components.

So far I'm considering purchasing the following while out in the states on an upcoming trip so as to avoid extortionate shipping costs.

Rear Lower Control Arms
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/rear-lower-control-arms-datsun-240z-260z-280z

Front Lower Control Arms
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/front-lower-control-arms-240z-260z-280z

Tension Control Rods
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/tension-control-rods-datsun-240z-260z-280z

or alternatively should I be considering these?
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/...ol-arms-and-tc-rods-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Billet Steering Coupler (Is there an issue with going away from rubber with one of these? will you loose any dampening etc?)
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/steering-coupler-240z

Should we be considering anything else while we're out there such as inner and/or outer tie rods or anything else to improve matters? I'm really looking to sort everything out at once and go for one big transformation to to avoid several steering realignments...

Cheers, Mark

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So what did you settle on uncle Franky!?

Woody: nice bling dude. If I had the time and no kids to feed ....

SacCyclone

Club Member
Woody,

Last year I purchased the T3 rear LCA, T3 front LCA (2nd pair listed), T3 tension control rods. I went with the poly steering coupler.

Running all of these on a 71 240Zed, L28, 5 speed, subi lsd 3:73 and rota RB 15X7.

Very happy with the T3 suspension parts. This set up also allows you to run some extra negative camber on the street or a lot of negative on the track which is nice. Highly recommended.

Mark N

Club Member
+1 for T3!
I've gone for a full T3 set up on mine and I would highly recommend them based on the build quality and service provided by Gabe.
I just fitted the T3 drop mounts and dog bone to replace the AZC parts that I had previously fitted but were clashing with the T3 moustache bar. The AZC billet parts are nice but can't contend with the T3 parts in terms of finish!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Woody,

Last year I purchased the T3 rear LCA, T3 front LCA (2nd pair listed), T3 tension control rods. I went with the poly steering coupler.

Running all of these on a 71 240Zed, L28, 5 speed, subi lsd 3:73 and rota RB 15X7.

Very happy with the T3 suspension parts. This set up also allows you to run some extra negative camber on the street or a lot of negative on the track which is nice. Highly recommended.

Great thanks for the feedback Mike, just what I wanted to hear. I think we'll do the same and go for the below two options in that case. Any thoughts on the poly vs billet steering coupler given it was originally rubber?

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/rear-lower-control-arms-datsun-240z-260z-280z

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/...ol-arms-and-tc-rods-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Also given your experience are there any other parts you would be considering picking up in the steering/handling department?

Intrax. I reckon the best option going.

A thread here from my research.

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27921&highlight=intrax

I'll have to have a full read through this :thumbs:

+1 for T3!
I've gone for a full T3 set up on mine and I would highly recommend them based on the build quality and service provided by Gabe.
I just fitted the T3 drop mounts and dog bone to replace the AZC parts that I had previously fitted but were clashing with the T3 moustache bar. The AZC billet parts are nice but can't contend with the T3 parts in terms of finish!

Thanks for the feedback, this is just the kind of response I wanted to be getting :D

SacCyclone

Club Member
Probably do the steering rack bushings in poly if you have not done so already.

The poly is probably more than enough for steering coupler and maybe a little less road coming up the steering shaft compared to solid metal.

Nice quality shocks and lowering springs and your good to go until you fall farther down the rabbit hole. LOL

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Woody: nice bling dude. If I had the time and no kids to feed ....

The joys of being in my early 20's with no kids or missus to keep happy. All the disposable to pile into my hobbies. I'm sure its an affliction :eek:

Probably do the steering rack bushings in poly if you have not done so already.

The poly is probably more than enough for steering coupler and maybe a little less road coming up the steering shaft compared to solid metal.

Nice quality shocks and lowering springs and your good to go until you fall farther down the rabbit hole. LOL

I'll add those too the list and agree poly has to be be less strenuous on the other components. Nissan must have made it out of rubber for a reason in the first place after all.

Haha I'm already straying down that hole! I keep looking at the adjustment of coilovers thinking they look the best bet and I can get the ride height spot on however there's another side that just goes to get some tockio illumia inserts and eibach springs to go with the above and be done with for now keeping it simple.

What are your thoughts on the subject given you experience?

SacCyclone

Club Member
My experience in modified suspension is limited as most of my Zeds are running stock suspension. My street/track car is running Koni shocks and unknown lowering springs. I am using the T3 top hats to get rid of the rubber isolators and drop the car a fair bit. As I have said in prior threads, my car rides a bit too stiff for the street but is nice on the track.

I have heard good things about the Tokico illumina shocks and eibach springs but I have not run them before.

Lots of chaps running the coil over suspension here on this site so may check with them. Coil overs give ride adjustability and height adjustability too....best of all worlds i think.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I've just had to fit a set of Spax coilovers to my 944 as the original front struts failed the MoT after 148k. OEM replacements are only available from Porsche and that's if you can even find the LH side. Now I have ride height control and many damping possibilities at my fingertips ...

(It'll be set as standard as possible though!)

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
My experience in modified suspension is limited as most of my Zeds are running stock suspension. My street/track car is running Koni shocks and unknown lowering springs. I am using the T3 top hats to get rid of the rubber isolators and drop the car a fair bit. As I have said in prior threads, my car rides a bit too stiff for the street but is nice on the track.

I have heard good things about the Tokico illumina shocks and eibach springs but I have not run them before.

Lots of chaps running the coil over suspension here on this site so may check with them. Coil overs give ride adjustability and height adjustability too....best of all worlds i think.

Thanks as always Mike, I do recall your comments from my previous thread. I keep going round and round circles in my mind on this one (hence all the questions) :eek:

Out of curiosity if I go down the coilover route I don't want to section my original strut assemblies. Are full sets of strut assemblies readily available over in the states? That way I can keep mine in tact and just do a direct swap once I've had coilovers sorted.

I've just had to fit a set of Spax coilovers to my 944 as the original front struts failed the MoT after 148k. OEM replacements are only available from Porsche and that's if you can even find the LH side. Now I have ride height control and many damping possibilities at my fingertips ...

(It'll be set as standard as possible though!)

Sounds very out of character for you! ;)

Are you happy with them? I run Spax lowering springs on my MR2 and am really happy with them. I've never delved into the world of coilovers before however I think the S30 is going to be the change of that approach. There's just so many options and possibilities along with a huge list of unknowns.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
For those that are running this kit already...

Is using rod eye bearings in the LCAs a bit harsh on the road? I'm wanting to adjust camber as I'm lowering the car so like the idea of an adjustable LCA but concerned they may be hard to live with.
I'm not sure there's an alternative that still uses bushing?

For those that are running this kit already...

Is using rod eye bearings in the LCAs a bit harsh on the road? I'm wanting to adjust camber as I'm lowering the car so like the idea of an adjustable LCA but concerned they may be hard to live with.
I'm not sure there's an alternative that still uses bushing?

VA motorsport make top mounts to set caster and camber to a tried and tested spec.

Also Kmac in Aus http://k-mac.com/product/nissan-240z-260z-280z-70-78-front-cambercaster-kit-full-race-541016k3/

you can also get adjustable bushings for the bottom end.

I'd be more worried about looking after rod eye bearings and life expectancy on the road.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
The Kmac top mounts look like a good alternative as I wasn't keen on cutting metal up top. I'd not seen them before. Brilliantly simple.
You're right about the rod eye longevity, I reckon they're good if you keep them clean, I've got them all over my Westfield but that hardly goes out to play!

The Kmac top mounts look like a good alternative as I wasn't keen on cutting metal up top. I'd not seen them before. Brilliantly simple.
You're right about the rod eye longevity, I reckon they're good if you keep them clean, I've got them all over my Westfield but that hardly goes out to play!

you'll also know how quick they can stick and fail when a bit of **** gets in them also.

johnymd

Club Member
IMO the general suspension components on a 240z are perfect for the job they serve. The geometry of a standard zed is great and see no reason to change it on a general road car. On my blue car I wanted to be able to set the car up better for track use so went fully adjustable. With the silver car that I am currently improving, I'll be retaining the rust free LHD components such as: lower arms, drop links, moustache bar, compression links, ect. The only things I am changing are the struts which will be BC's. I haven't made my mind up yet as to which bushes I'll change to urethane and what I'm going to leave a rubber so open to advise on this.

IMO the general suspension components on a 240z are perfect for the job they serve. The geometry of a standard zed is great and see no reason to change it on a general road car. On my blue car I wanted to be able to set the car up better for track use so went fully adjustable. With the silver car that I am currently improving, I'll be retaining the rust free LHD components such as: lower arms, drop links, moustache bar, compression links, ect. The only things I am changing are the struts which will be BC's. I haven't made my mind up yet as to which bushes I'll change to urethane and what I'm going to leave a rubber so open to advise on this.

As a clean sheet why not go to new rubber everywhere on control arms etc then work backwards from there. Most the abuse people give rubber bushings comes from the fact their using 40 year old knackered ones.

johnymd

Club Member
I've no experience with replacing rubber bushes. Is it as easy as urethane? All the old bushes are removed and all the components powder coated and ready to go back on after I've fitted the bushes.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Is the rubber stuff still avail? I wanted rubber moustache bar mounts but these proved to be a rarity. Someone recently posted a in depth look at the Superpro bushes which seem to retain grease well and avoid the dreaded squeak, I think I will go down this route.