Sunroof flies for freedom

bluejon

Club Member
If it isn't one thing it's another. We'll I always would have preferred a Z without a sunroof and now I have one, kind of. Just cruising a B road at about 50mph, the 80s pop top was open and then it was gone. It made a break for freedom. With the rush of wind already there I didnt really hear very much, just a crack. By the time I realised and looked in the rear view mirror all I could see was tiny smithereens of toughened glass disappearing under the car behind. I don't think it hit the vehicle behind and pulling in a minute later that vehicle didn't stop to join me.

So now I have an open top. Nice and airy, but somewhat inconvenient. Wonder what to do for the best now? It might be easiest to have a replacement fitted, one that doesn't leak.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
If u get carried away I’ve got a full roof panel I could part with, few dings in it but ok with a quick skim.

Garaculas

Club Member
I’ve almost lost mine a couple of times so good to know that they can actually make a run for it!

If u get carried away I’ve got a full roof panel I could part with, few dings in it but ok with a quick skim.

Sorry to hijack the thread but let me know if you want that roof panel gone.. (y)

johnymd

Club Member
I lost the one on my blue car in the same manner a few years back. I should have replaced the roof then but my father in law had a brand new one in his garage. The centre panel fitted perfect and I’ve sealed it in with black tape ever since. I really must get around to replacing the roof skin.

toopy

Club Member
I have a sunroof, when the car was restored 15 odd years ago, I opted to replace it with new, it's unlikely you'll find one exactly the same, so slightly bigger maybe the only option.

Personally i like it, i know most don't and that's absolutely fine, i really couldn't care less :cool:

johnymd

Club Member
Dispite the black tape and sunroof, I've had a lot of fun from this car and it still has more to give.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm sure she does...just for me, the image of black tape over the sunroof makes me think of Vauxhall Cavalier minicabs.....NOT an S30.:)

status

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldn’t know,I’m not from Essex,It was always said that a sunroof weakens the structure in a Zed