Sump gasket

Harty

Forum User
Hi all
I’ve had to remove the sump on my 260z as it was leaking and bought a new gasket via eBay which was an inch short in its length 😅 getting a refund on that !! Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get one asap that’s a good quality and fit ?
Kind regards 👊

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi all
I’ve had to remove the sump on my 260z as it was leaking and bought a new gasket via eBay which was an inch short in its length 😅 getting a refund on that !! Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get one asap that’s a good quality and fit ?
Kind regards 👊
Get a Felpro one from Rockauto. Take one of the Fedex delivery options so tax and duty prepaid.

Harllequin

Club Member
Hi all
Kind regards 👊
Was it a Cork one?
They usually do come smaller, mine did.
I've actually not ever known a Cork one come the correct size when doing them on other vehicles.
I put a tiny amount of rtv silicone on the pan and place the gasket on, using the bolts to hold it in place. Gently pulling it to fit.
A few pegs to hold it all in place and then go get a cuppa and bacon sarnie. By that time it's normally gone off enough to remove the pegs and bolts.
Not sure how others do it, but that's never failed me yet.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
RockAuto or pretty fast. My last fedex order with them took 48hrs to arrive.

Re your sump. I've taken my car to a garage twice now to have this done; and it still leaks. Glad you are doing it yourself, but there is clearly an 'art' to doing it right, especially re the sequence of tightening bolts and the low level torque you employ. I've kind of accepted now that it's an old car and a bit of oil on the garage floor isn't going to hurt anyone ;):bow:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The Felpro gaskets just fit the shape correctly. I tighten the bolts from the middle out - i.e. do the two middle ones on one side, then the two middle ones on the other side, then the two either side of the middle ones on the first side (etc). then I go round it a couple of times retorquing it. It's only 7 ft lb, so it never really feels tight.

Harty

Forum User
I have another query I wonder if you could help with ? the join from the wing to the light shroud is the gap normally seam sealed and painted ? Mine has a black seam sealer not painted but I’m wondering if it should have nothing at all and just bolted together??
Thanks 👊

Harty

Forum User
I have another query I wonder if you could help with ? the join from the wing to the light shroud is the gap normally seam sealed and painted ? Mine has a black seam sealer not painted but I’m wondering if it should have nothing at all and just bolted together??
Thanks 👊
Found it’s a rubber seal , thought it being sealed wasn’t correct 😅 👊