Subaru power steering conversion article

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi all.

This is probably aimed at all the long time members or forum users.

I am currently in the process of doing a power steering conversion to my S30 using a Subaru Forester rack. I have seen some pics and a YouTube vid that show some of the basics but I understand that Terry Taylor (tel240z) did a newsletter write up back around 2011. Does anyone have a copy of it or know where to find it please? I have searched this site without success and pm'd Terry who doesn't seem to be able to help.

I am trying to work out how & where I need to cut the crossmember and also trying to envisage how the lower steering column link joins to the pinion shaft given that it is quite a bit longer than an S30 pinion shaft.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Paul.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I’ll be interested to know how you get on .
I did see a Subaru rack fitted to a LHD car .but the amount that the cross member was cutout was quite horrendous.
Also I think the rack is quite abit longer resulting in shorter drop arms which can lead to bump steer .
Hopefully someone with this set up will post pictures and comment on how it performs
Will you use a engine driven pump or an electric one.?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes I have a copy, all members got one.

I'm not home until the weekend.

It's not an in-depth article but does explain the basics and includes pictures.

I've also been in the car with Terry to Spa and back.

Farmer42

Club Member
Plan to use a 280zx pump driven by the engine. Can't be ar*sed to muck about with speed sensors etc. On electric ones.

Was only planning on cutting about an inch width slot to allow the pinion housing to sit snug so that the rack can be clamped properly in the right position. Will also allow the hose to the pump to exit the pinion. If the crossmember needs to be cut more than that I would be concerned that it would lose structural strength. Will probably weld a box section in to strengthen.

Haven't measured both racks to compare length yet. I was assuming that the extra length woul be negated by using the Toyota inner tie rods which are shorter. I am hoping that would overcome bump steer. As you said, hopefully will come up with some info.

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi Rob.

Thanks, anything would be useful. I will pm you my email address if it's on a soft copy.

I presume his car drove OK - no bump steer?

johnymd

Club Member
From my experience you need to be very accurate with suspension/steering geometry if you don't want to ruin the car. You can very easily end up with a car that is difficult to drive and totally lacking in feel. You can start with a superb car with precise steering feedback and end up with not knowing what's going with the front and back wheels. This will be most noticeable in an emergency situation when your trying to avoid an accident and end up creating one. I would always look towards an assisted column rather than a compromised rack that will cause issues due to geometry. I believe Terry had to move his rack to fit the BMW engine in so although his information on the conversion will be very helpful you will probably want to get the new rack in as close to the original position as possible to minimise the amount you ruin the cars feel.