Subaru diff

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Has anyone done the subaru r180 diff conversion as I am about to do mine as I can't seem to find much info about it

johnymd

Club Member
I've read a fair bit about this and it seams the way forward if you want a LSD setup using modern parts and are not making too much power. I think the diff will take a fair bit of power.

What driveshafts were you using Dave and what parts broke?

richiep

Club Member
There's quite a bit of discussion about it on hybridz.org. Essentially, you need the 27 spline custom output flanges sold by Wolf Creek Racing in the US, which will allow you to bolt up the Z half shafts. That is the only plug and play solution. $500 for the pair. Then you need to swap the input flange from the Z diff to the Subaru one. After that, it's a straight bolt in.

I've been giving this one serious thought too as opposed to swapping to an R200. Less clearance issues with my exhaust in keeping an R180, and an easy way to go LSD. Main issue seems to be finding a reasonably priced 3.9 subaru R180. The couple on eBay are twice the price of the 4.444 versions. I've only been browsing though so should maybe speak to some of the various Subaru breakers.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
I have got the Beta Motorsport output flanges ready to fit and I picked up a Subaru diff for 100 squid which I hope is a 3.9 but if it a 3.5 for that price I can live with it

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Any other solutions on the market yet?

One change is that Wolf Creek Racing now do a full kit at $900 or $500 for just the axels!

I want a LSD in the white one, but for casings etc to remain as stock as possible.

richiep

Club Member
This is crying out for someone this side of the Atlantic to replicate a solution - with the issues with the WCR/Beta ones ironed out. Maybe a job for our resident machine shop boss Atomman?

johnymd

Club Member
Madda - I thought the full kit was just the axles and didnt include the 27 spline stubs. If it does then thats a very good price and could be the way to go.

Richie - Issues?

richiep

Club Member
I'm sure I recall someone commenting on the machining not being as good as it could be, but I could talking out my rear.

I did get a price for using the complete Subaru drive shafts, remade with 'unbreakable' shafts, so they'd slot straight in and bolt the the standard hubs/drivetrain. A very simple fit and forget solution.

However I didn't want the hassle/cost of getting a few sets made than have them sitting round for years till people came round to the idea that its a great solution!

atomman

Club Member
This is crying out for someone this side of the Atlantic to replicate a solution - with the issues with the WCR/Beta ones ironed out. Maybe a job for our resident machine shop boss Atomman?

Just seen this, just had a look at the wolf creek one's, shouldn't be a problem to make some of those up, I will try and get a price for some 4340 today and see what I can do

Gary

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I'm sure I recall someone commenting on the machining not being as good as it could be, but I could talking out my rear.

Might have been me, I had one of the 1st WCR drive shaft/CV setups and the quality was shocking, I had to remanufacture nearly everything.

I had the shafts done by elite racing transmissions as the WCR ones were like chocolate
The CV joints were nasty so I used some GKN motorsport ones
The only bits left are the adapter flanges and the boots

Other than that its fantastic

But bear in mind the splines shafts have to be machined, splines cut and then hardened so 250 per pair
The CV cost around 150 - 200 quid a set
The boots etc another 50 - 75 quid

So nothings cheap ehhhh

All in all

richiep

Club Member
Yep - now remember it was you last time we were chatting at pmac's. And you've mentioned this in a forum thread before too.

Good work Atomman!

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Just seen this, just had a look at the wolf creek one's, shouldn't be a problem to make some of those up, I will try and get a price for some 4340 today and see what I can do

Gary

If you can do some complete kits minus the donor diffs, I am certainly interested, and I guess John is too. :thumbs: Being able to go back to stock is important to me so I don't want to have to butcher any of my original parts to achieve the swap.

John, what is the blue beast running?

johnymd

Club Member
The blue car is running the z31 setup with wolf creek axles and crommoly Stubs. They are developing a bit of play in the cv's though. Probably not an issue but its increased from when I fitted them. Was using 280zxt with homemade companion flanges for a couple of years but I had to be gentle off the line as I kept snapping the axles. If I was to do this again I'd go for an all new setup and make sure I could get parts off the shelf (CV's) if I needed. The new Z setup doesn't need to be extreme so I'll stay standard for a while but I do want an r180 LSD, hence the start of this thread.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
I will be fitting mine at the weekend and hopefully the driveshafts will fit aswell

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Just to give people an idea .
IMG_20150320_202333828.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
R200 longnose 3.7 R180 longnose 240Z LHD 3.5 i think could be lower and a Datsun kingcab R180 longnose 4.8 k diff .

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Scooby diff finally fitted but will be a while before I get to drive it.I have left the propshaft flange on and I am looking at getting a custom prop made to match as I keep finding info about the flange swop being preloaded which puts me off .
IMG_20150322_152746493.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]