SU Carbs and manifold

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I sold a set years ago for 200 that needed a rebuild. Wouldn’t have expected the price to go up too much..

I do have a pair for rebuild I could be persuaded to sell with a manifold and balance tube (US one) if you wanted. I probably will never use them.

Nik

Club Member
I don’t think I have the linkage though..! So you would need to find that

I'm interested how much are you looking for? Are they round top carbs?
I have a throttle linkage that I got with a RHD pedal box, and it came with a linkage bar also so that might work it.

toopy

Club Member
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-2...=item3b2bd3ca0d:g:OT8AAOSwGDNccqs4:rk:20:pf:0

Spotted this on Ebay, it looks like a good deal, but I don't know if they are the more desirable 240 carbs. Almost tempted to order them for my 280, but I know I should spend my money on more important things like floors for my car.

The seller is wrong/misinformed, they aren't 240z/Hitachi SU carbs, but proper SU's, you can tell most obviously by the float chamber tops which are completely different in style ;)

Farmer42

Club Member
Toopy is definitely right. They are British HS SU carbs not Datsun Hitachis and old ones to boot judging by the old style top-hat type jet needles! If you look closely at the right hand carb float lid in the first & last pics you can just make out 'AUD or AUE...' which is the part number of the lid on a British SU. The manifold may have been 'refurbished' (probably just cleaned & given a coat of aluminium spray) but the important refurbishment should come on the carbs themselves. No mention of a refurbishment there and it doesn't look like they have been touched! Then there is the connecting linkage between the carbs. Obviously bodge welded and definitely not the original Datsun linkage.

The whole package is way overpriced. The manifold is probably worth £150 tops and the carbs are probably worth no more than about £100 in their current condition.

Nik

Club Member
Thanks guys, membership here has really helped me avoid making mistakes and wasting my money!

Dan has sold me a set. Might try and reburb them myself if I can find some good guides online or books.

Farmer42

Club Member
If you are planning on a self- refurb, check the throttle shaft bushes for any wear or play before you start. If there is play in them they will let in air and the carbs won't run properly even with new bits like jets & float valves any you will have wasted your money on the kits which aren't cheap. Otherwise they are fairly simple things to refurbish. Just make sure you get the full kit with needles jets, gaskets etc. Some kits only come with half of it. Ztherapy in the US will probably be the best place to get them otherwise try Mr F at MJP.

Nik

Club Member
If you are planning on a self- refurb, check the throttle shaft bushes for any wear or play before you start. If there is play in them they will let in air and the carbs won't run properly even with new bits like jets & float valves any you will have wasted your money on the kits which aren't cheap. Otherwise they are fairly simple things to refurbish. Just make sure you get the full kit with needles jets, gaskets etc. Some kits only come with half of it. Ztherapy in the US will probably be the best place to get them otherwise try Mr F at MJP.

Will do thanks.
If you need help with Ztherapy in the states let me know and I can help out.
Mike

Thanks. I sent them an email and they said I would need to send in the Nozzels first, but I forgot to ask if they will ship to the Uk, I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

uk66fastback

Club Member
They will ship to the UK.

"If you are planning on a self- refurb, check the throttle shaft bushes for any wear or play before you start."

Is that as simple as seeing if they actually 'move'?

Farmer42

Club Member
Is that as simple as seeing if they actually 'move'?

They should obviously spin to open & shut the butterfly and there can be a little movement if you pull & push the shaft back & forth in the carb body. I am not sure what the tolerances are for that sort of movement but its not a lot. However, if you hold the end of the shaft at each end and try to move it side to side or up & down there should not be any movement. If the bush or shaft is worn you will feel it sort of rattle.

toopy

Club Member
I read that when checking the bushes/shafts for wear, you should close the butterflies and if there is any discernable movement when trying to move the shaft back and forth in that closed throttle position, then they are obviously worn.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Nik.

I've just sorted out a French member here with a kit and the nozzles you can send later. Happy to help you if needed. Bruce and Pam from ZT were very helpful and prompt.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just catching up with posts - wow at that price I would add a few quid and buy ZTherapy!!! But I guess the linkages and manifold are in the ebay listing!