SU 1 3/4", needles for standard 280ZX?

Broughton

Club Member
Ooops! Just realised I put the following in the wrong sub-group so repeat it hear. Apologies to all.

"Would appreciate suggestions for needles to suit twin 1 3/4" SU's on standard 280ZX build.
Have seen SM needles (fixed type) suggested but my carbs are HIF which have floating needle type.
Nearest profile to SM I can find in the floating needle range is BCH.
Not a speed freak just need needles to give best all round performance.
Any offers?"

Huw

Club Member
Um I have to ask. You have a 280ZX that’s been converted to carbs? Or you have an l28 engine in another Z?

Only the 280ZX didn’t come with carbs as standard, that I’m aware of anyway. So really keen to understand what’s your set up :) . Some pics would be cool too. Cheers

Huw

Broughton

Club Member
OK. The engine had the injection replaced by SU's simply for appearance. Engine used in a one-off Morganesque type special which called for straight six engine. After considering other engine make options the 280 was chosen.
I apologise if my joining the "Z" site offends in any way but needed info on the engine/ gearbox and seemed you guys might be best placed.

Attachments

• Insurance photo's (7).jpg
    Insurance photo's (7).jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Engine bay.jpg
    Engine bay.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 17

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
OK. The engine had the injection replaced by SU's simply for appearance. Engine used in a one-off Morganesque type special which called for straight six engine. After considering other engine make options the 280 was chosen.
I apologise if my joining the "Z" site offends in any way but needed info on the engine/ gearbox and seemed you guys might be best placed.
You're welcome here, no one will be offended by using the l28 in another car. But it definitely helps to understand the context.

Huw

Club Member
Ahh that makes more sense now, with the oil pressure sender not being electronic. Love the car the engine fits nicely. 😄 Welcome!

I’m sure someone on here will be able to help, not having carbs on my car counts me out.