Strip Down 280z Advice

Evanso

Club Member
Hi

Just got my 280z and need to strip down the car only leaving the suspension and steering column so I can get it on a trailer.

If anyone could share with me a good guide or method to strip down a 280z I would really appreciate it. Also any advice on how to make it easy to get everything back on the car and working would be great.

Thanks for the help.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well chap, welcome to the forum / Z world!

If you can, put some pics up on the forum which makes it easier for the community to advise you.

The best advice I can give is take photos, A LOT of photos in a systematic way starting at the front and going back. Take pictures of all electrical connectors and key mechanical areas / interior panels etc.

You’re gonna need to bag and tag meticulously. Keep every bolt and nut or screw as they are a special Japanese Industrial Standard size that are hard to come by here.

Then buy yourself a label printer and lots of present tags with string as well as an assortment of zip lock or re-sealable sandwich bags / freezer bags.

Buy lots of various sized heavy duty and stackable storage boxes with lids.

Buy a 50m roll of bubble wrap.

Find a dry place for storage and make a plan for where things go.

I would start with the engine bay, photograph and tag all wiring. Take off all ancillary bits first until you are just left with an engine to pull.

Then do the same with the interior tagging and bagging as you go as well as bubble wrapping and carefully storing plastics !!

Enjoy!

Evanso

Club Member
Thank you for the advice I will definitely follow this. Yh I'm going to upload photos and film the whole the whole process once my camera arrives.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Give each crate a number and keep a separate record of what goes in each crate. Ideally on a spreadsheet so you can search for a part and find out which crate it is in.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Give each crate a number and keep a separate record of what goes in each crate. Ideally on a spreadsheet so you can search for a part and find out which crate it is in.

I have a spreadsheet for my spare parts boxes for that exact reason - and to stop buying stuff I already have but forgot about ;)

uk66fastback

Club Member
I’ve restored cars in the past, not been as organised as I should have been and ended up with two of a lot of repro parts, but sense I’m probably not alone!