Street stroker

johnymd

Club Member
I thought I'd start a thread on the new engine I'm trying to get built so I can collect all the info and advice into one place. There are many members on here who have probably researched this far more than me so I'm hoping you can share a bit of your knowledge. I have already spoken to a few people and will continue to ask advice from others who have already gone this route but I'm also trying to share it on here to aid others in the future.

So, what am I trying to build? It is going to be purely a road going engine so will spend 95% of it's life in the 2-4k rev range with the occasional blast up to 7k. Why don't I just put an L28 in it you may well ask? Well I'm happy to throw a few grand at it so I may as well make use of the LD28 crank I impulse purchased. So a stroker it's going to be. Nothing extreme and I'm certainly not trying to get every last HP out of it. Low end torque is my main goal and I want lots of it.

Where I'm currently at:
LD28 crank.
L28 F54 block (from Deano's old turbo engine) being bored to 88mm.
Maxpeeding L24 length rods ( for the cost these seamed a no-brainer if only for the balancing and arp studs).
JE forged pistons with custom pin height to be level with the top of the block.
N42 head (nice looking worked on head from samuri conversions) Looks like it's had a 10thou skim.
.460/305 cam which I'm told will give me the low end torque I'm looking for.

Still need to purchase springs/retainers which is the bit I'm not sure of. In fact the whole head setup I'm a bit lost with. Do I need longer valves? Will the springs bind? Standard or ford valve seals? and probably more questions I haven't thought about. This is where I probably need the most help with but any advice on the rest of the build will gratefully be received.

The block and crank, along with the pistons, are at the machine shop for checking and machining. By the time they are back I'm hoping to have a better understanding of the parts required for the head plus where best to purchase the parts.

johnymd

Club Member
Wise words Sean. With unlimited budget you would simple buy the absolute best of everything, irrespective of whether you need it or not. Unfortunately for most of us we just cant do this so have to set some limits. So we first spend our money in the areas and on the parts we consider could be a weak point and would see most benefit from an upgrade. We also research what others have done and the areas that have shown failures and spend the money wisely in these areas.

Or do you just throw as much money as possible at it and hope for the best?

Spend wisely has always been approach. Don't waste money on parts that are of no benefit. If your budget starts to run out and you haven't address all the areas you feal you need to then you must increase your budget.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'll add don't buy the wrong parts then have to pay a second time to get the right ones - one of the reasons for this thread : don't over-engineer.

Do you know what induction already ?

johnymd

Club Member
Exactly Sean.

This engine is for the silver car which currently runs Life Racing EFI on a standard engine. I'll be moving all that onto the new engine plus implementing knock control to get the most from it. I may change the 50mm ITB's to bike injection that I've been playing with. I'll also be using the zstory manifold and exhaust that's already on the car.