Strange object in sump!

RichZ

Club Member
Today I removed my sump from my 240 and found a strange object down in the bottom of the pan. Can anyone tell me what this could be? I'll try to describe it.

It's smooth plastic (reminds me of Bakelite), red/brown and black in colour, round on one side and looks as it was moulded around a Round head Phillips or pozzie screw at some point but has snapped off.

Please see photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 78

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The cam covers have some sealant on the breather baffle - seems to me a bit like what you've got there. Maybe the sump baffles have something similar?

Nexussteve

Well-Known Forum User
I'd say sealant too. Probably hardened over the years.
Isn't Nissan sealant red from the factory?

RichZ

Club Member
Found this photo on internet, will have an investigate of the cam cover baffles tonight.

Cheers for the pointers.

Attachments

• cam cover inside.jpg
    cam cover inside.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49

RichZ

Club Member
Thanks jonbills you are correct there is one screw with the sealant missing on the cam cover breather baffle. See attached photo.

So the next question is, should I be worried that this screw will work its way lose? or was it just over kill on the design? Bearing in mind this could have come off years ago.

The screw was not lose so I haven't messed with it.

Cheers people :thumbs:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 36

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It's nice to be right occasionally!
I'd check that the rest of the sealant isn't lose, but otherwise wouldn't worry about it.

RichZ

Club Member
All the other sealant is fine so i will leave it alone as not to disturb any further. I,ll look in to getting some suitable epoxy.

Thanks again for your prompt and spot on responses.:thumbs: