Storing your Z outside

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think they're ok to keep outside in the winter, just don't drive them. Especially not when the roads are salted.

toopy

Club Member
Given the option, who wouldn't store a classic inside, however it's entirely possible to store said classic outside with 2 proviso's.

1. Use a decent multi layered, preferably fitted cover and replace it every 2 or 3 years.
2. Park the car on hard standing, not on anything that remains damp for extended periods.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wouldn't condensation still wreak havoc with the box sections etc?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Was this thread created by the admins, as I don’t remember creating it, but did put the first post in another thread ...

Bazzateer

Club Member
Even a fitted cover will move in high winds and no matter how soft the inner layer is, it will damage the paint. Better in a garage with a dust cover.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I had my old Mustang coupe outside for a couple of months when I first got the fastback and it didn’t do it any favours to be honest ... so I just couldn’t keep one outside.

johnymd

Club Member
If your car has been painted then treat all the box sections, sills etc with a cavity oil/wax. This should protect them from condensation.

I will need to store at least 3 Zed’s outside this winter so I’m looking for recommendations on good covers. I have tried several but still not happy with most. I do like the newer Halfords one that has a waterproof top section and breathable sides. All the others let some moisture in IMO.

Paul_S

Club Member
Something like this may be an option for some --> https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/

EE8032D3-5F76-4928-8287-5C333628A135-large.jpg

richiep

Club Member
If your car has been painted then treat all the box sections, sills etc with a cavity oil/wax. This should protect them from condensation.

I will need to store at least 3 Zed’s outside this winter so I’m looking for recommendations on good covers. I have tried several but still not happy with most. I do like the newer Halfords one that has a waterproof top section and breathable sides. All the others let some moisture in IMO.

Fully waterproof top but with breathable sides sounds quite a good idea, given our winters.

That's the thing - even with expensive, fitted, breathable covers, you can't just "fit and forget" for the winter as condensation build-up and leaking WILL happen, meaning you need to be perpetually vigilant. Back before my red Z was resprayed/rebuilt, the first couple of years I had it, it stood outside from spring till autumn in a residents' car park under an expensive made-to-order triple layer cover. Given our climate, whenever it rained heavily or had been particularly damp, I had to whip the cover off and wipe down the car as standing water would run down and sit on the wing tops and other horizontal surfaces. The car did noticeably degrade here and there where issues were evident (all being sorted in the 2005-2008 refresh).

Bottom-line - I'd recommend avoiding outside storage if possible, and if it is, then get the best cover you can and check it daily. And if the car has any rust issues or blemishes, expect them to worsen.

Case study - the fully restored (and very nice) 260Z that Riddler used to own and is now owned by TimW, used to live outside (covered but driven daily) during Riddler's ownership. That period is now showing through as Tim has a few bits of bubbling that he plans to address. If the car had lived inside when Riddler had it, I don't doubt that those issues wouldn't exist.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John I store a car outside under covers. I currently have my Samuri under cover and it has been like that for the vast majority of time I've had it.

I have THREE covers on it and they do the job but after heavy rain some moisture (tiny amount) can seep through so whenever I get a dry spell I remove the covers, dry them and 'air' the car. I also open the windows and if poss take it for a run. Tbh it's a pain. Something like the tent Paul posted is a better idea and if you have 3 and space then it would be more cost effective.

I started with the expensive 3 layer cover but after prolonged exposure to the sun the top layer breaks down and flakes off. Then the cover is no good for wet weather. I got it replaced FoC - it's a common problem.

I use that cover between 2 Halfords covers - the type you described. They are cheaper but do seep water and I don't know how the 'waterproof' section does. One area is where there is stitching eg the vents and joins. So like tents and clothing the stitching needs waterproofing with something.

So with 3 covers (of varying sizes - biggest on top) it's ok but I wouldn't store a 'concourse car' outside under covers. One cover will not keep the car dry with 3 I just about get away with it.

Paint - unless your cars are lacquered and have a good top coat the paint can go milky! Also micro-blistering could be a problem with a car that has been resprayed.

The Halfords covers are not as strong as you might think and after a while the 'breathable' section can be prone to tearing (if you pull it hard) - my top cover has torn in two places recently so I think it's strength is weakening. The plastic section is soft when hot and brittle when cold.

So don't buy the expensive covers you are better buying 2 Halfords covers to give another layer. Don't put your best cars outside. Buy the correct size for the Datsun otherwise the covers go to the ground and won't allow air underneath. My 'small' Halfords cover fits the car well, my 'medium' Halfords cover swamps it but covers the other two nicely. Datsuns are small cars compared to modern cars.

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
20200822_132247.jpg
Thats the perfect colour combo though as you wouldn't notice any surface rust on the horizontal parts :jester:

You just can't help yourself can you?

This was my car a short while ago - I haven't washed it - I just removed the covers and went for a drive. Then to Oulton Park a week later where one guy said it was the 'best car here'. On the way home someone even pulled alongside gave a thumbs-up sign and filmed it. It's far from perfect but is great fun and people want to see them.

You need to get out in your's franky.

My point re covers was that you need more than one layer, it will seep and you have to be pro-active in removing the covers, airing the car and drive it.

Without car covers I couldn't own the car so it's a compromise I'm prepared to take when owning two. I had the same issue before with my other Zs. At least when owning more than one you can drive one whilst working on the other.

Last edited:
View attachment 40991

You just can't help yourself can you?

This was my car a short while ago - I haven't washed it - I just removed the covers and went for a drive. Then to Oulton Park a week later where one guy said it was the 'best car here'. On the way home someone even pulled alongside gave a thumbs-up sign and filmed it.

You need to get out in your's franky.

My point re covers was that you need more than one layer, it will seep and you have to be pro-active in removing the covers, airing the car and drive it.

Without car covers I couldn't own the car so it's a compromise I'm prepared to take when owning two. I had the same issue before with my other Zs. At least when owning more than one you can drive one whilst working on the other.

It was a JOKE robert. No harm or malice intended. I really thought you'd see the funny side. Especially with the smiley clown face thing.

I'm actually going out in mine at the weekend. been a long time coming.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
...........Case study - the fully restored (and very nice) 260Z that Riddler used to own and is now owned by TimW, used to live outside (covered but driven daily) during Riddler's ownership. That period is now showing through as Tim has a few bits of bubbling that he plans to address. If the car had lived inside when Riddler had it, I don't doubt that those issues wouldn't exist.

But the point is that he used the car in all weathers and enjoyed it. Without covers he wouldn't have owned it. If you don't want a Z to deteriorate bodily keep it in a dry garage and go in once a month to look at it and calculate your investment. RIDDLER is inspirational - he's been to me a few times (about 175 miles round trip) just for a drive out.

It's still a great car.

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It was a JOKE robert. No harm or malice intended. I really thought you'd see the funny side. Especially with the smiley clown face thing.

I'm actually going out in mine at the weekend. been a long time coming.

As a 'one off' I would have taken it as a joke.

Good luck at the weekend, please update us - I genuinely hope it goes well because it should be a great car.