steering wobble

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
does anyone know if the radius rod should be adjusted when the tracking is done as my steering wheel still wobbles at around 60 mph. took it to kwik fit for the tracking but it's just as bad. the wheels have been balanced and the bearings replaced.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Are you sure all the balance weights are still attached? They can come loose or get knocked off, by the likes of bigger calipers, etc.

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
no i'll check them. i'm gonna have the tracking done again somewhere else but wondered about the radius rods as all the steering & suspension was stripped down & rebuilt. new track control arms were also fitted.

David Gannon

Forum User
What wheels do you have fitted to the car? I experienced the same thing for years, turned out it was down to the minilite copy wheels I had fitted to the car which were not centering on the hub. Had to get the wheels balanced on the car by Vibration Free near Brackley as no amount of static wheel balancing helped.

By the way to find this out I had replaced two sets of tyres, steering bushes and had the wheels balanced umpteen times!

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I'd be looking at tightness of wheel bearings (especially if new), steering rack moving, blisters on inside of tyres, track rod ends and strut bottom ball joints.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I had a wheel wobble beween 65 and 75mph on my 260 which I could feel through the steering wheel. Balancing didn't cure it. I wondered if one of the wheels might have a slight kink in it or something. So I had the front wheels put on the back and switched the back ones to the front and it is now much better, although it is still there a little bit. Hope this helps.

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
i'll have to go through all these one by one i guess. i have original 260 alloys with newish tyres. i read your old thread last night riddler & someone mentioned checking rear wheel bearings also! as usual nothing is straightforward!. thanks for all the advice!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would certainly jack the car up and spin the wheels to check for 'true'. Like Riddler I had a problem with a damaged wheel and that had been balanced a few times without anyone spotting it.