Steering wheel time

johnymd

Club Member
Came really close to buying a Momo type 7 steering wheel but resisted until I figure out what boss kit and quick release hub I go for.

Haveing just returned home with the z after haveing a cage fitted, I found it pretty hard to get in and out of. Mainly due to the steering wheel. A smaller diameter wheel will help but a quick release one should make it a dodle. The type 7 momo is deep dished but if I then add a boss and quick release hub it may stick out just too far. The only boss kits I find for the Datsun is deep although there are some short ones for newer Nissans. Some say they fit and some don't.

Any thoughts/recommendations. I could go for a flat type wheel but they look a bit too modern and I really like the look of the dished wheels.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Also interested in this.

I've bought a weld on one but I'm a bit reluctant to weld the original shaft on.

Dan

datsun dave

Club Member
I have a Momo steering wheel and a Lifeline quick release hub both work work great I will try to find some pictures.

It's a bolt on unit and to save all the messing I have moved the horn to a button on the dash.

Ian

Club Member
I prefer the look of dished wheels, but I feel with my driving position the wheel was already close enough which was why I went for the Flat Nardi wheel I now have.

I would like a quick release setup, if you find a setup that doesn't move the wheel much further out than the stock position it would be good. I had a look Dave's setup but it moves the wheel out a good bit, I think it would be too close for me.

johnymd

Club Member
From what I'm reading, unless I use a flat wheel it will push it too close to me. May start looking at the weld on qr.

tel240z

Club Member
Came really close to buying a Momo type 7 steering wheel but resisted until I figure out what boss kit and quick release hub I go for.

Haveing just returned home with the z after haveing a cage fitted, I found it pretty hard to get in and out of. Mainly due to the steering wheel. A smaller diameter wheel will help but a quick release one should make it a dodle. The type 7 momo is deep dished but if I then add a boss and quick release hub it may stick out just too far. The only boss kits I find for the Datsun is deep although there are some short ones for newer Nissans. Some say they fit and some don't.

Any thoughts/recommendations. I could go for a flat type wheel but they look a bit too modern and I really like the look of the dished wheels.

Yes fit power steering :smash: and have a smaller wheel :cool:
I like your roll cage nice and snug to the windscreen pillar John but can you use it as a grab bar when getting in and out as when I dummy fitted the common old safety devices one it lent itself quite nicely to getting out probably a different story with a lid on

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
280zx hub should fit
,i got a short hub of ebay that said it would fit a 240z but it did not but the hole is just a bit too small but I will make it fit by forcing it on to a spare steering column section, as I also wanted to use a quick release steering wheel

Mr.F

Inactive
re. our conversation yesterday - the hub I have is secondhand from a 280ZX (so will also fit S30), but is 10cm deep! Probably won't suit your needs unless you use a flat wheel. Momo bolt pattern only.

Note the Nissan steering column spline changed for the 1984 model year, so anything which claims to fit later models won't fit S30 / S130.

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks for all the info. Looks like all the hubs are way too long so I guess buying one and reduceing it to around 25mm in a lath could be the answer. Re-drill holes for Momo bolt pattern then use a slim quick release unit. May still stick out a little more than standard but would probably work.

Garaculas

Club Member
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but did anyone get anywhere with this?

Used to have a slim NRG snap off boss in my DC2 and would love something similar in the 240Z, mated to a nice Nardi wheel.

Thoughts?

johnymd

Club Member
I'm still looking.

I currently use a momo deep dish wheel and standard hub. It puts the wheel very close but I've got used to it now. The main problem is how far away the indicator stalk is.

datsfun

Club Member
I currently use a momo deep dish wheel and standard hub. It puts the wheel very close but I've got used to it now. The main problem is how far away the indicator stalk is.

Jump into BMW driver mode...who needs indicators:eek::p

Ian

Club Member
I'd always be wary of going for a tuner style snap off boss. I'd only use a proper Motorsport or rally one but these are all bigger and would put the wheel too close to the driver and too far from the indicators.

WazzaJB

Club Member
Hey @johnymd,

Sorry to necro post but out of curiosity did you end up with a quick release solution?

My wheel is coming apart and as I'm adding power steering I think I'd prefer a Momo wheel, but from a security perspective I'd rather have a quick release kit (take wheel into house) than a god awful steering lock which lives in the car.

I'm doing a RHD conversion and have corresponding column so would prefer to not have to weld on.

johnymd

Club Member
I did go for the momo deep dish steering wheel and usual deep boss but I modified the boss to be only half its length. Still not enough room for a quick release boss though.

Hey @johnymd,

Sorry to necro post but out of curiosity did you end up with a quick release solution?

My wheel is coming apart and as I'm adding power steering I think I'd prefer a Momo wheel, but from a security perspective I'd rather have a quick release kit (take wheel into house) than a god awful steering lock which lives in the car.

I'm doing a RHD conversion and have corresponding column so would prefer to not have to weld on.

I use to use these on kit cars and the likes

https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/B-G Racing-steering-wheel-quick-release-system

passed IVA tests with them, very low profile and a proper locking system once on.