Steering Rack Movement

Ian

Club Member
I bought some poly bushes for my rack from Mike when I was rebuilding my car. Ever since fitting them I've had problems with my rack moving (sideways only) when you steer the car. Cleary this isn't right and it feels very bad to drive as when you initially turn into a corner the rack will move about 3mm and you don't get that nice solid feeling.

Anyone else had similar problems? I don't remember this being a problem with the original bushes, should I just go back to new stock bushes?

I've even tried adding extra rubber to pack it out but that hasn't worked.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I bought some poly bushes for my rack from Mike when I was rebuilding my car. Ever since fitting them I've had problems with my rack moving (sideways only) when you steer the car. Cleary this isn't right and it feels very bad to drive as when you initially turn into a corner the rack will move about 3mm and you don't get that nice solid feeling.

Anyone else had similar problems? I don't remember this being a problem with the original bushes, should I just go back to new stock bushes?

I've even tried adding extra rubber to pack it out but that hasn't worked.

Try narrower tyres. :devil:

There must be something wrong - right bushes for your rack, wrong rack on car - just guessing here?

Ian

Club Member
lol, Narrower tyres isn't an option.

Might be the wrong bushes, don't seem wide enough, as they were wider it wouldn't allow any movement. I'll try and take a photo tomorrow for confirmation. (better put that in my phone as I'll be so busy with other things I'll likely forget)

johnymd

Club Member
I seem to remember it was very difficult to fit my new rack bushes as they appeared too big (opposite from you). I had to put them in boiling water for a while so they were soft enough to clamp up. We're yours easy to fit?

richiep

Club Member
Did you check you have the new bushings on the correct sides? Get them on the wrong sides and there will be play.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe you have early 260z bushes installed, the late 260z was fitted with wider ones. Or was it the other way around, I can't remember now!

Ian

Club Member
Bushings were easy to fit.

I must have early 260Z bushings installed because they need to be wider (or at least the lip either side of the bracket needs to be wider)

Looking at my photos, the gap with the stock bushings seems to be filled up but with the new ones theres about 2 or 3mm either side which is allowing the rack to slide.

andrew muir

Club Member
Mine were a very tight fit and I had to squeeze then in before I could get clamps on,
I got mine from MJP as well. Suspect you may have wrong ones, my car is a 77 260z.:thumbs:

Ian

Club Member
I clearly have the wrong bush:

click

johnymd

Club Member
The problem with our cars is they are 40 years old and who knows what crossmember you have. Plus the crossover period where 240 parts were on 260's. Its no wonder this is a bit of a lottery.

It would seem you have the early one though.

Ian

Club Member
Yeah, nothings as easy on these old cars. Even if you know exactly what you need you can't get most of the parts from Nissan anymore.

Yes, I have early 260Z bushes, MJP's already sorted me out with 280Z bushes so hopefully this problem is solved.

Ian

Club Member
Well, got this sorted today thanks to Mike who sent me the correct bushes out first class for free. Fitted them up and the steering feels much better, no movement now. Got my tracking done afterwards, drivers side was very far out.

Both are toeing a bit still unfortunately as I ran out of adjustment, has anyone else had this problem?

Well, got this sorted today thanks to Mike who sent me the correct bushes out first class for free. Fitted them up and the steering feels much better, no movement now. Got my tracking done afterwards, drivers side was very far out.

Both are toeing a bit still unfortunately as I ran out of adjustment, has anyone else had this problem?

Which way are they toeing?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The steering rack may have been changed at sometime which could be why the bushes do not fit

Leeski26

Club Member
Looks like I have the same problem, fitted a master bush set late last year and now have an advisory on my MOT for movement on the steering rack, so have ordered a late 260z rack set from MJP to see if that solves the problem. Is the late 260z bushes the same as the 280z set or have I ordered the wrong ones?

Ian

Club Member
The steering rack may have been changed at sometime which could be why the bushes do not fit

Nope, just had been sent the bushes for an early 260Z, mine needed ones for a late 260Z

Leeski26 - Late 260Z bushes are the same as 280Z ones.

I believe I ran out of adjustment because my car is lowered (though nothing crazy) this pushes the track arms outwards and you need to wind them in to correct, also possible the quicker steering arms with built in bump steer spacer effects this also.

Its not much lower than it was last time I did them (only slightly because the RB setup is heavier) and I was able to get them set then to +00.10 degrees on both sides.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Rookie question 1: do we trust normal garages to do wheel alignment on Zs?

Rookie question 2: what is the ideal setting? For example I know on some cars they are set to toe inwards slightly so that the action of the road coming at the wheels pushes them to a neutral position.

Ian

Club Member
Don't see why you couldn't trust a decent tyre place to do Z alignment, you can keep an eye on them to be sure.

For a fast road setup I'd aim for 0 or 1/16th" out on the front, unfortunately mine is more than that, but I'll work out how to sort it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Don't see why you couldn't trust a decent tyre place to do Z alignment, you can keep an eye on them to be sure.

For a fast road setup I'd aim for 0 or 1/16th" out on the front, unfortunately mine is more than that, but I'll work out how to sort it.

Why toe-out?