Steering Coupler. What's this?

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
A good upgrade is to replace the rubber steering coupler with a poly version. steering coupler1.jpg

steeringcoupler2.jpg

I had a look at mine. Is this a solid steering coupler ? (see photos). Not much info on the web but I think they can be obtained in Japan. Can anyone shed any light on what it is ?
Ta

toopy

Club Member
It certainly looks like a poly one, the standard rubbery type ones would look pretty knackered and would probably be collapsing and twisting quite obviously.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
I had a brand new solid plastic steering coupler once, never got to use it, cannot remember where I got it from or where it went afterwards.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
It doesn't seem to be a plastic / poly one as the circular black casing is metallic. Unless it's a metal shroud over a rubber or poly coupler - but I doubt it

johnymd

Club Member
It just looks like the usual hard black poly ones we all run but it's hard to tell from the picture if it's metal or poly.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Except for the obvious responsiveness improvement on the steering, are there any side effects of going poly? I.e too much stress on components, steering gets jittery etc?

I ask as mine is pretty squishy and I was thinking of getting a hard one. (Come on Sean, don't let me down!)

Except for the obvious responsiveness improvement on the steering, are there any side effects of going poly? I.e too much stress on components, steering gets jittery etc?

I ask as mine is pretty squishy and I was thinking of getting a hard one. (Come on Sean, don't let me down!)

I think having a hard one on your shaft is the way to do it.

There and the steering rack?

SacCyclone

Club Member
I replaced my old rubber coupler with a red poly a few months ago and it felt like an improvement to me. Plus, I could move the steering coupler around a lot with the old rubber bushing which made me nervous.

I have a aluminum couple that I got in a parts car sitting on the shelf, maybe you have one that was painted black??

Still, the best feeling improvement was the steering rack poly upgrade and T/C rod upgrades.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think having a hard one on your shaft is the way to do it.

There and the steering rack?

Thanks Franky! Can't believe Sean was beaten to it ;)

I replaced my old rubber coupler with a red poly a few months ago and it felt like an improvement to me. Plus, I could move the steering coupler around a lot with the old rubber bushing which made me nervous.

I have a aluminum couple that I got in a parts car sitting on the shelf, maybe you have one that was painted black??

Still, the best feeling improvement was the steering rack poly upgrade and T/C rod upgrades.

That is great to know, thank you. I've had the poly rack bushes sat there for three years and not gotten around to doing it yet but you've convinced me to do it soon!

I know what you mean about feeling nervous on the squishy rubber front. I really worry about old rubber on something so vital to keeping me alive! Gulp!

What did you upgrade your TC rods to?

Thanks Franky! Can't believe Sean was beaten to it ;)

That is great to know, thank you. I've had the poly rack bushes sat there for three years and not gotten around to doing it yet but you've convinced me to do it soon!

I know what you mean about feeling nervous on the squishy rubber front. I really worry about old rubber on something so vital to keeping me alive! Gulp!

What did you upgrade your TC rods to?

I think a firm rack would be quite noticeable.