Starting the car after 10 years

Rudy240Z

New Forum User
Hello, my name is Rudy. I have a 1972 to 240 Z. It has 14,000 miles. I am the second owner. I purchased it from a dentist who moved from Oregon to Manhattan. Within a year, I also moved to Manhattan and put the car in a garage. I am starting it for the first time in 10 years. I changed the oil and filter, distributor cap, rotor, condenser, spark plugs, and wires. I oiled the cylinders removed the gas tank, flushed, and reinstalled it. Then I attempted to start the car no gas was going through the filter. I changed the fuel pump and put a hose directly into a gas can. The gas was still not coming into the fuel filter. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there something I need to know about how the fuel pump needs to be installed? Does the pump need to be primed? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Farmer42

Club Member
Do you have an electric or mechanical fuel pump? If it's mechanical, detach the hose on the fuel rail side of the pump and turn it over. If fuel comes out, you have a blockage in your fuel rail which after sitting for that length of time would not be surprising. Otherwise it will be a case of systematically going through the fuel lines to test for a blockage. Rust and crud can build up in the pipework over time sat still.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would be tempted to prime the pump. I can take a while to get fuel through. Failing that try using 'easy start' to get it turning fast and hopefully draw fuel through. It might be worth gravity feeding the carbs to get it running just to make dure everything else is OK.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Had a similar issue recently and was surprised by how high the pickup was in the tank. Needed over 20l in the tank and a couple of vacuum leaks fixed before it would pull up to the pump properly.