Stand Alone Engine Management System?

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone installed a stand alone engine management system.

Again, this might be a stupid question but always better to ask :) I have an auto.
Is it wise, possible or just plain silly to install a stand alone system on a car with automatic transmission? My knowledge on such things is pretty rubbish and I ask
because the only stand alone systems I've seen are all for manual vehicles. Not
unusual as they are manuals and you can have much more fun in them but I thought there would at least be some systems out there for autos :confused:

Russ

Club Member
I should imagine all the big drag race vehicles are autos (I don't know of what sort of auto of course) and they'd have standalone/aftermarket ecus, so they must exist?

I wasn't aware though that the ECU would naturally be in charge of the gearbox though, I can imagine it outputs an engine speed for it of course.

Hmm I'm as curious as you now and await an expert :)

What's your plan for the ECU?? I don't want to change my ecu, but would like to install a wideband o2 sensor setup, probably in the middle of an exhaust link pipe so it could watch both banks of cylinders. Then use that output to actively control my fueling/boost levels safely :)

Mr.F

Inactive
Most modern automatic vehicles have an ECU which is in charge of the auto shifts, patterns and everyday behaviour. Most will require some input from remote sensors and the engine ECU to provide full functionality.

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
I should imagine all the big drag race vehicles are autos (I don't know of what sort of auto of course) and they'd have standalone/aftermarket ecus, so they must exist?

I wasn't aware though that the ECU would naturally be in charge of the gearbox though, I can imagine it outputs an engine speed for it of course.

Hmm I'm as curious as you now and await an expert :)

What's your plan for the ECU?? I don't want to change my ecu, but would like to install a wideband o2 sensor setup, probably in the middle of an exhaust link pipe so it could watch both banks of cylinders. Then use that output to actively control my fueling/boost levels safely :)

No real big plans right now. I'm more concerned with finding the fault causing it to non start and then the full service afterwards. I have been toying with the idea of bigger turbos, injectors, uprated fuel pump etc etc :) But I really want to know how much of a gain in power it will achieve with a stand alone system. :D

I now have the suspension kit I want which should be ok for the power it has to handle in the near future. I'm only aiming for 400 - 450 BHP :eek: I just want an engine that is running as efficiently as possible and when being pushed hard as well.

But I can't find any stand alone systems for an auto. I checked out the whifbitz site and he has an AEM system for a 300ZX. Doesn't say it was meant for an auto but doesn't say it was intended for a manual either. :confused:

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
Most modern automatic vehicles have an ECU which is in charge of the auto shifts, patterns and everyday behaviour. Most will require some input from remote sensors and the engine ECU to provide full functionality.

Sounds like I'm better off getting a piggy back system :cool:

MarkH

Well-Known Forum User
Don't bother with stand alones until 6-700 bhp, the stock system copes fine with that amount of bhp, you will have to ditch the autobox unless you order a autobox from greg dupree in the states?

Piggybacks are crap, get a chip from john dixon, in fact talk to him further as he has in depth knowledge on the Z32 and engine management systems in general!

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
Don't bother with stand alones until 6-700 bhp, the stock system copes fine with that amount of bhp, you will have to ditch the autobox unless you order a autobox from greg dupree in the states?

Piggybacks are crap, get a chip from john dixon, in fact talk to him further as he has in depth knowledge on the Z32 and engine management systems in general!

Thanks Mark, will do. Me thinks I'd have to spend a small fortune to get even close to 600BHP! :eek: I'll be happy with around 450 - 500 figure :D

MarkH

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Mark, will do. Me thinks I'd have to spend a small fortune to get even close to 600BHP! :eek: I'll be happy with around 450 - 500 figure :D

If you want, give me a ring, I steered SMW1 on what to buy to get 531 bhp on his car, and it only stopped at 531bhp because the dyno maxed out!

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
If you want, give me a ring, I steered SMW1 on what to buy to get 531 bhp on his car, and it only stopped at 531bhp because the dyno maxed out!

Nice! Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

I have no idea what your number is mate so will send a PM :thumbs: