Stainless Fixings

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I have a 1972 240z that will be dismantled at some point as I've bought the stainless steel bolt kit for the entire car (except suspension).

I am taking this to another level, and will be measuring each bolt / nut / washer for replacement of 1/2 the kit.

The reason is a bit complicated but, the short of it is: Similar stainless items can friction weld together (which is why you coat the thread in anti-lock grease etc).
If you have dissimilar stainless items, they won't friction weld together.
This happens upon tightening the nut / bolt together.

Afterwards I'll have the stainless steel bolt kit installed on the car, and a 2nd stainless bolt kit for me to sell on.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have a 1972 240z that will be dismantled at some point as I've bought the stainless steel bolt kit for the entire car (except suspension).

I have the same kit and reading up on galvanic corrosion put me off!

Pete

Well-Known Forum User

I am taking this to another level, and will be measuring each bolt / nut / washer for replacement of 1/2 the kit.

The reason is a bit complicated but, the short of it is: Similar stainless items can friction weld together (which is why you coat the thread in anti-lock grease etc).
If you have dissimilar stainless items, they won't friction weld together.
This happens upon tightening the nut / bolt together.

Afterwards I'll have the stainless steel bolt kit installed on the car, and a 2nd stainless bolt kit for me to sell on.
Are you using a mix of A2 and A4 stainless?

toopy

Club Member
Surely for cars stored indoors and rarely driven in the wet, the chances of galvanic corrosion causing bolts/nuts to corrode to the point they are likely to seize, is pretty remote i would of thought.

Whenever i use a bolt somewhere, wether its an original or a replacement in A2 or whatever, i always lightly grease the threads, copper slip if its a high heat area, water proof for anywhere else. Not so much to lubricate the threads but mainly as an extra precaution because of the galvanic issue, i certainly wouldn't disregard the benefits of using stainless steel on the slim chance it will seize.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Surely for cars stored indoors and rarely driven in the wet, the chances of galvanic corrosion causing bolts/nuts to corrode to the point they are likely to seize, is pretty remote i would of thought.

I wasn't worried about them seizing, more that if any rust is going to occur I want it to be the £2 bolt, not the hard-to-replace panel.