Squealing noise on start-up

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My 04 car has developed a squealing noise on start-up. No problem at any other time and it appears to be a bearing noise rather than the ancillary belt noises we've all heard.

It's loud and sounds like a dry bearing, the problem is it doesn't last long enough (3 secs) for me to determine the source. I had a mate listen when I started it the other day and he thinks it is the Power Steering pump.

Is there a common fault, can I just lube it or is it another pump :eek:.

Last edited by a moderator:

tel240z

Club Member
Could be the the sarter motor on its over run ,you know that dryish bearing sound as you let go of the key

Had a fiesta in the other day with a bearing noise, none of the pullys when spun alone made any noise or had any play but i was suspicious of the water pump, what i had to do was have an assistant to de tension the belt with engine running on the sprung loaded tensioner and brake each pully in turn with a stout piece of timber then let the tensioner back in until i found the culprit i also sprayed the belt and pullys to assist the sliping of the belt around the pullys when braked, ok it sacrifices the belt but at least there is no miss diagnosis also lets you test each pully under belt tension load, yes its a bit dangerous so don't try this at home

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My 04 car has developed a squealing noise on start-up........ it appears to be a bearing noise rather than the ancillary belt noises we've all heard.

Wrong ............... it WAS the belt:smash:

Belt was tight but not tight enough.... I looked at my manual (CD) for spec re deflection. Adjusted, without having to take the undertray off - the manual would have you do this but there is plenty of room between pulleys and rad fan.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would consider belt replacement in the not too distant future...

Mike, you're not going to sell me another one that easily - this one provided by you has only done 5k mls. It looks fine, just gone through it's normal initial stretching I assume.

Mr.F

Inactive
:eek: I'd forgotten you had a belt from me - I was imagining it with much more mileage on it!