springs

Big Zed's

Club Member
can someone let me know where I can pick up a new set of front springs for our 260z

We are in Herts / Essex

Thanks

Big Zed's

Club Member
Take a look at of this thread, some of them will do springs. https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/part-suppliers.25046/

Also you can get springs to your spec from the likes of springcoil ltd.

Over the years of the 260z there are maybe 1/2 dozen spring length combinations so it can be quite hard work getting the right set.
Take a look at of this thread, some of them will do springs. https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/part-suppliers.25046/

Also you can get springs to your spec from the likes of springcoil ltd.

Over the years of the 260z there are maybe 1/2 dozen spring length combinations so it can be quite hard work getting the right set.

Thanks for the info.

What would have been the original sizes?

Would springcoil ltd know what the standard size was?
Have they been dealing with the Z club?

Gary

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think there are lots of different original sizes, and I wouldn't be confident to guess what original size your car should have.
the US business like thezstore.com do offer some 'standard' sizes (https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic20c01) , but I think over the years people haven't always been satisfied by the fit.
I suspect in part this is why stuff like BC coilovers are popular - you end up with a known quantity.

The Zclub haven't dealt with Springcoil and they don't have details of stock Datsun kit, but I have used them - I got my springs from them a good few years ago. I took my springs off and measured their size and guessed at their spring rates and made up a spec for a shorter stiffer set for springcoil to make. They made them, and my spec was wrong so Springcoil adjusted them for me.
I think they have tools for measuring spring rate etc, so I think what I'd do if I did it again is a) get my car weighed and b) send my springs to them, tell them the weight of the car and what I want in terms of spring rate and amount of lowering and see if they can suggest a spec.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Good advice there from jonbills. This can indeed be a minefield, with several different spring sets fitted by the factory depending on models and sub-variant.

can someone let me know where I can pick up a new set of front springs for our 260z

Tell us some more about this particular car. If it is a stock, un-messed with UK market RS30 model then we might be able to narrow it down quite a lot as the factory-supplied data is pretty good.

What's the full chassis number?
Is it an original UK market car?
Do you know the *rough* production date period (not the date of UK registration)?
What are the part numbers on the front strut tubes?

The original springs had factory-applied paint marking codes on them, but I doubt they will still be present after this amount of time.

Mr.G

Club Member
You will find that different markets had different spring rates, with stock US springs softer then UK ones. So bear that in mind if buying from the US.

I have seen the UK stock spec somewhere, maybe on here.

Big Zed's

Club Member
Good advice there from jonbills. This can indeed be a minefield, with several different spring sets fitted by the factory depending on models and sub-variant.

Tell us some more about this particular car. If it is a stock, un-messed with UK market RS30 model then we might be able to narrow it down quite a lot as the factory-supplied data is pretty good.

What's the full chassis number?
Is it an original UK market car?
Do you know the *rough* production date period (not the date of UK registration)?
What are the part numbers on the front strut tubes?

The original springs had factory-applied paint marking codes on them, but I doubt they will still be present after this amount of time.

Chassis no. GRS30 - 010624
Production date not known, first registered 23 June 76

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Chassis no. GRS30 - 010624
Production date not known, first registered 23 June 76

OK, so it's a 2+2 model. The springs are different than those on a contemporary 2-seater.

There are two possibilities I'd suggest, as the factory service manual gives data for 'Standard' and 'Hard' suspension type on this model, market and the likely production date.

'Standard' is probably more likely for your car, but you should be able to compare the data with what you see on your car, and make an informed decision. Active turns of coil should tell you the difference:

'Standard'
Active turns of coil: 8.5
Free length mm (in): 381 (15.00)
Spring constant kg/mm: 2.06 (115.4)

'Hard Suspension'
Active turns of coil: 7.5
Free length mm (in): 341.5 (13.44)
Spring constant kg/mm: 2.59 (145.0)

Edit to add: Note that these are for FRONT springs only.

Big Zed's

Club Member
Thanks Albrecht

That's great, the Standard ones could well be the answer, fingers crossed.

They are for the front
Now I'll try the links I've been given to get a set.

And thanks to Mr G and jonbills