Speedo / cable help urgent

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
The problem....
When at slow speeds the speedo needle jumps around until 40mph is hit then smooths out .

The complete cable from clock set to gear box has been changed with a reconditioned one (cleaned and lubed). it's been checked for kinks and notches, none of which are present.

The cable adaptor that slides into the gear box with an off set gear on the end does not seem to mesh correctly to the worm gear inside the box.

The car has been driven whilst on the ramp with someone underneath slowly rotating the adaptor with the driver keeping an eye on the clocks. at no point did the needle settle at a steady speed except from the times the two gears were not in contact.

A drill has also been fitted to the end of the cable and spun with positive results suggesting the cable and clock set are not at fault.

It seems as if the two gears are not meshing correctly.

Has anyone had similar fault or can shed some light on the matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Steve, you have an S14 box don't you? Why do you need an adaptor - is clearance in the transmission tunnel tight?

To be honest (and I've said this before) I just use a Sat Nav for the speedo - it avoids all the aggro with different tyres/diffs etc.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Steve, you have an S14 box don't you? Why do you need an adaptor - is clearance in the transmission tunnel tight?

Yes to first part and no Idea on the rest as I am only the messenger for Mark aka Silverbullet who is trying to sort it for me

To be honest (and I've said this before) I just use a Sat Nav for the speedo - it avoids all the aggro with different tyres/diffs etc.

I believe that a working speedo is one of the new changes to the MOT that came in in January 2012

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
There is no "adapter" Steve, it's the original drive
Most likely this was not adjusted correctly when it was originally fitted and has worn beyond futher adjustment

"has anyone had a similar fault"

Well given that there are only about 25 car with S14 box's (ive done 14) that's remote
I built the box Steve get your guys to call me:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: