[SOLVED] Spark plug socket size

Mr.F

Inactive
14mm fits my NGK plugs

I would suggest 16mm fits the hex head on the smaller NGK "C" series plugs (300ZX and onwards) and standard plugs (e.g. BPR6ES in 240Z/260Z with points) need 21mm as measured across the flats.

14mm is the thread size.

SaintZed

Forum User
You're absolutely right Mike, as always :bow:

My NGK plugs (BPR6ES-11) for 240Z running electronic ignition measure 21mm across the flates, funny thing is that the socket that fits them states 14mm :confused:

Sorry for any confusion Morbias :eek:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Right, so I got both the sockets I ordered and it turns out the 14mm one is indeed actually 21mm, so now I have two.

But...

It turns out my plugs are the smaller type, BCPR6ES, so now I need a 16mm socket (I probably should have had a look first!). Are there any big disadvantages using these plugs in a 260Z with a points dizzy?

Does anyone know the difference in gap size between BCPR6ES and BPR6ES?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
BPR6ES and BCPR6ES are both 0.9mm gap. The wider gap version of each has a suffix of -11, i.e. 1.1 mm.

The advantage of the "C" series is for ease of access in deep-seated plug, e.g. VG30 engines.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Then again...

It turns out the plugs are the 1.1mm gap version, so I re-gapped them to 0.9mm until I get some new ones with the right gap.

Also, is there any way to turn the engine other than by the crankshaft or camshaft? Basically I adjusted the valve lash today by turning the engine using the camshaft, which involved moving the fuel rail out of the way. I put it all back together then remembered I hadn't set my points yet (why is there no facepalm smiley?).

I haven't got a stupendously long breaker bar that will reach the crankshaft nut, or a socket big enough. Does this mean I have to take the valve cover and fuel rail off again?

tel240z

Club Member
I try and avoid using spark plugs with an R in them as this means resistor good for radio supression but why spend money on electronic ignition systems and quality leads just to put a resistor in line
to turn the engine over 5th gear and rock forward beware though as it could start if ignition on
not a good idea to turn the engine over on the camshaft sprocket

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah I only used the cam sprocket because I can't see any possible way to get to the crank. I can't roll the car forward either as there is no room. Can I put it in 5th gear, jack up one rear wheel and just turn the wheel? Or will the diff stop me doing that?

zbloke

Club Member
You could, mark the position of the distributor relative to its mounting plate, slacken off the adjuster bolt, spin the distributor to get the points onto a lobe of the distributors cam, set the gap then move the distributor back to the reference mark you made, followed by seting the timing with a strobe light