South West Meet

Farmer42

Club Member
I was thinking of taking the Zed to the Devon Classic Car Show at Ugbrooke House, Chudleigh in Devon on Sunday 27 August and thought it may be a good opportunity for a South West Z-Club meet.

It's only a fiver if you book beforehand and £7 on the day if prefer to wait to see what the weather is going to be like.

I have spoken to a mate who took his car to this a couple of years back and he said it was a good day out with Hog Roasts etc. Have a look at the website at www.classicmotorshow.org.

Anyone interested?

Huw

Club Member
Could be up for it depends on family commitments if they can be shuffled around.

ben240z

Club Member
If I am not going to Crystal Palace then I would be interested in dragging the Z down there if you were having a club gathering

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
Ugborough House is normally attended by a green 240Z, I think he is a member on here. A better show was last Sunday which was at Killerton House just above Exeter. One of the best shows in the South West is usually the first or second week in July at Powderham Castle, Exeter.

Farmer42

Club Member
Bath show is excellent, free and the weather has always been kind. I will be going again this year.
http://www.bathfestivalofmotoring.com/

Yeah, the Bath show was one I was considering as it is quite close to where I live. I was also looking at the Bristol Classic Car show at Bath & West Showground on the same weekend but unfortunately, as there are 2 family birthdays that weekend, I can't make either (my Missus made it clear she didn't want to be 'dragged' round a car show on her birthday).

I also had a look at the Powderham Castle show on 8 July but it looked as though it was for vintage motors not something of our cars' age. The last one I was looking at was the Classic & Supercar show at Sherborne Castle on 15-16 July but not sure what this one was like.

I have had a recommendation for Ugbrooke so I plumped for that one & just thought that it wood be good to get people from the far South West involved as apart from Combe, a lot of the other events such as Japfest Silverstone & Donnington Historic are a considerable distance for some.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I have an issue of principle with any classic car show that charges for entrance where there are no other attractions or diversions such as racing or at least an autojumble.

Without the classics they have no show so to charge entrance fees is taking the **** hugely, they should be paying the exhibitors if anything.

Powderham is a good show btw and more post war classics attend than vintage so Z not out of place.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Just to let you west country guys know that there is a show at Chepstow racecourse on the 17th September. It might be a big one.
Up until 3 years ago there was a very big classic car show at Newport. The committee were getting on in years and so they handed it over to another organisation who , for the past 2 years, moved it to Margam Park (Port Talbot). The show is now being moved back further east to Chepstow in order to also attract the west country cars and once more make it a big show.

Farmer42

Club Member
Just to let you west country guys know that there is a show at Chepstow racecourse on the 17th September. It might be a big one.
Up until 3 years ago there was a very big classic car show at Newport. The committee were getting on in years and so they handed it over to another organisation who , for the past 2 years, moved it to Margam Park (Port Talbot). The show is now being moved back further east to Chepstow in order to also attract the west country cars and once more make it a big show.

This one looks interesting & at least the entry fee is going to a good cause. Do you know if any other Z owners are going or are interested?

WRT a South West meet, it appears that there is little interest in the Ugbrooke event so how about meeting up somewhere where there isn't a charge to get in? I suggested Devon area so that owners from the far SW can get involved & it gives us Brizzle boys a chance to give the car a decent run that is do-able in a day. Any ideas or interest would be great.

I might go along to the ugbooke house one, its a lovely setting down there.

Also the powderham castle event is always a nice day out. loads of steam engines too :)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
https://historic-vehicle-gathering.info/index.php

Powderham Castle 8/9th July

Looks like individual entries may be full but could try and get a club stand if can get some interest here, need to be quick though as very last minute and need to get numbers to organisers.

Any interest ?
Farmer42 ? What about other locals Superdry ? Vaughan ? 240ZMan ?

Why not pack a tent and make a weekend of it if you live elsewhere ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

Club Member
Yep I have booked this one for the first time.I was going last year but clashed with Le Mans.If there is a chance of a club stand that would be great.Iam booked for the whole weekend!(with the wife)and another couple who have a Porsche 928.
Apparently there is a 260 booked in,anyone on here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Huw

Club Member
Chepstow looks interesting, I would be up for that. I could also do Powderham Castle, but only one of the days due to family commitments.

I was going to do a run across to Brecon and the surrounding area, Abergavenny A40/A479 etc. Just for an afternoons drive as I like the roads around there and take in a pub at the end maybe. If anyone wants to join your welcome. Not decided a date or route yet but its something I intend to do, so if any interest I will make some firmer plans.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Bath Festival is this weekend guys, we'll be there both days.

I've bought a 993 and we are in our honeymoon period but I'll still be taking the 240z

Farmer42

Club Member
Can't do the Bath festival and can only do the Sunday at Powderham and even then would need to juggle other things to fit it in.

Would deffo be up for the run up the Valleys Huw. Would prefer to be driving the car on some fab roads than have it parked up in a field for people to gawp at!! NoSpark PM'd me and is interested in a meet in South Wales so he may be up for the run. Perhaps start a thread & get a list going?

My Missus fancies Ugbrooke so will probably go to that one anyway and the bonus is that you can pay on the day so if the weather was bad, you don't waste your money not using a ticket.

It seems that possible attendees are:
Me (Farmer42)
Huw
Franky
240Zman?
Ben240Z?
Someone with a green 240Z?

I thought there were a few in Cornwall and somewhere around Lifton in Devon. All a bit quiet down that way.

Would also be up for the Chepstow Racecourse event after thinking about it a bit more so count me in unless the weather is c**p.

superdry

Club Member
Yeah it's my 260z booked in at Powderham, I have a ticket for 2 days, but will probably only do 1 day. I'm happy to have a meet up there if anyone else is going.

I'm also going to the Bath & West show this weekend. Happy to meet up before if anyone wants to go in together.

fae821w

Club Member
Went to the Bath Festival of Transport today with my 280zx coupe, where were you boys?, was looking forward to meeting you.

Good show, but very hot, took my youngest Son with one of his mk3 Cortinas.

Andy.